× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX1800 (EAX20) 5Ghz slow DL speed

crowt999
Initiate

AX1800 (EAX20) 5Ghz slow DL speed

I have a Tri-Band extender, shown in the picture, that extends my Nighthawk AX12 (RAX120) Wifi 6 router. This extender generally gives 600Mbps & higher when standing in the same room.  I just purchased the AX1800 (EAX20) which is a Wifi 6 extender, (also in picture) which maxes out at 250Mbps for the exact same 5Ghz network.  (only one extender is on at a time) so I cannot understand why a Wifi 6 extender connecting to a Wifi 6 network would be slower !  I had the exact same problem with the more expensive EAX80 extender (which I returned) Both the router and Extenders are all on latest firmware.  Anyone have any clue as to why the performance on the Wifi 6 Extender is SO much worse than the older extender?image0.jpeg

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: AX1800 (EAX20) 5Ghz slow DL speed

The EX8000 (what you have) is a triband AC extender. It has a dedicated chip for communication between the router and the extender and can link at 1733mbps for the backhaul (link speed, not throughput). 

A dual band/single band device has to use the same chip to communicate between the router----extender and then extender---device. And it can't do both at once. So it takes a 50% speed hit because of this.

So for the

EAX20--its 5ghz has a 1200mbps link but then 50% speed hit. Plus that 1200mbps is under optimal conditions and close to router. 

EAX80 -4800mbps link  and then the speed hit. But they rarely link at the 4800mbps because it drops of quickly with distance. Which is the whole point of an extender. 

The tribands don't take that hit because of the dedicated  chip. 

There currently isn't a a triband extender that I know of (so far). 

The EX8000 is pretty much a top of the line extender and quite capable. I'm not surprised that you're getting faster speeds than the dual band AX devices. Now when they come out with triband AX, then we'll see. 

Message 2 of 4
crowt999
Initiate

Thanks for the info! Really makes sense and I'm preparing my return as we chat.   

Dean

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

its the whole reason triband mesh systems work so well. That dedicated backhaul link between them. It keeps speeds higher and they don't have the same latency hit that single/dual band systems take

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series