× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX1800 EAX20 crashes my home network

FWROM
Tutor

AX1800 EAX20 crashes my home network

During the set up process using both the app and the website, setting up the EAX20 crashes my router. Thr router resets and connects to the internet and then as I move forward through the extender set up process if crashes again. I've made it through the firm ware updates (all though crashing several times) and the router continues to crash until I physically unplug the extender. The home network router is a Arris NVG443B (a DSL set up) with DSL speeds of ~17 down and 1.7 up load speeds. We are way out in the country....I have contacted tech support for NetGear and they were useless.

Is there something wrong with the extender or will the network not support it?

Frank Romano

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: AX1800 EAX20 crashes my home network

Does it crash the network if you hardwire it into the router and run the EAX20 in access point mode? 

Message 2 of 8
FWROM
Tutor

I don't know, I haven't tried it. However the extender doesn't have a cat5 "in" port, just 4 out ports.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

In access point mode, 1 port is used for AP mode. 

I'd try that. maybe the EAX20 is overloading the router or causing a conflict. 

the other thing to check is the Arris NVG443B is to see if it has a setting for self organizing network and disable it. Usually under Wireless Settings/Advanced Security Settings/ Other Advanced Wireless Options

not sure on that specific device. 

Message 4 of 8
FWROM
Tutor

Ok, I'll try that and see what happens.

Thank you.

Frank

Message 5 of 8
FWROM
Tutor

That seems to have worked. Hard wiring the extender to the modem to set it up. It did crash the modem a couple times, but I was able to complete the set up, up date the firm ware and it is now running remotely.

Thank you very much!

Frank

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad that got it working! If you mark it solved, it can help the next person with this issue
Message 7 of 8
Raymond73
Aspirant

I have the same exact problem. Both netgear and internet router are the same as yours.

I can't even connect to the extender now. All lights are while but no apps or software can connect to it.

So much for the 90 days free support they advertised. I guess it woudl be free if you don't get anything.

Bad purchase.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7