× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX6000 AX 8 Mesh extender

JKW787
Aspirant

AX6000 AX 8 Mesh extender

Hi I have the above on the 2nd floor of my building connected to a Fritzbox 7530 on the 1st floor by ethernet cable.

We are unable to connect to my Chromecast and SONOS. A bit of research  suggested that the Netgear is allocating its own IP addresses(?)

The solution recommended was to to set up the extender in access point mode.

When this was tried it set up its own network.

Tried Netgear support. Not impressed. Have spent hours on the phone to them They keep opening and closing cases without actually achieving anything?!

Is it possible to achieve what I with this kit, or do i send it back?

Thanks

Keith

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: AX6000 AX 8 Mesh extender

Sonos devices have issues on mesh systems. Do a search on their forums and you'll find a ton of posts about it. 

Make sure that if you have a bridge, its only connected to the router and not the extender. 

Something else you can try is setting static ip addresses on your devices. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Do you have the EAX80? (AX6000 is a speed)

do you have the extender setup with a static ip address in the fritzbox? 

What firmware is on the extender?

Did you set it up using WPS (push button method) or using the installation assistant?

You can set it up in AP mode and use the same ssid/password as the router. Devices just don't roam quite as efficiently but they do work. 

Message 2 of 7
JKW787
Aspirant

Hi plemans

Thanks for the prompt reply.

No its an AX8 Mesh extender.

Changed Fritzbox to static.

How do I find out what firmware I have?

Used installation assistant, both to set up as mesh and as ap.

Technical support spent a lot of time doing stuff, not sure what, but it did not work.

Currently have it in AP mode (looked it up) but it has set up a separate network, which defeats the object.

Had an old TP link router which did that. This was supposed to be an improvement. Be safe

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

AX8 isn't a model number either. 

do you have this? https://www.netgear.com/support/product/eax80.aspx

That's the actual model number. 

You can log into the extender using its ip address (found in the fritzbox's attached devices page).

You can also try mywifiext . com but that doesn't always work depending on the fritzbox. 

If you log in there, it'll also let you look at the status page that might help show connection issues. 

Message 4 of 7
JKW787
Aspirant

Yes that's what I have.

Another frustrating hour with Netgear support last night.

In the end gave up with them.

Some of the complication was having  a guest network which is used for the SONOS and Chromecast, but not to communicate with the router. This was a problem in trying to use the app. Cracked it in the end though. Now set up in mesh mode again. Still have issue with extender using different IP addresses. This necessitates turning phone wifi off and on again to control SONOS and Chromecast. Am I going to be able to do anything about this? I know I can fix the IP address on the router, can I do that on the extender? Do I want to , it will compromise my security?

Thanks for your input so far.

JKW

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Sonos devices have issues on mesh systems. Do a search on their forums and you'll find a ton of posts about it. 

Make sure that if you have a bridge, its only connected to the router and not the extender. 

Something else you can try is setting static ip addresses on your devices. 

Message 6 of 7
JKW787
Aspirant

Thanks for that.

Ill research SONOS and static IP addresses.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7