× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Point EX6150v2 doesn't work properly

HansertP
Tutor

Access Point EX6150v2 doesn't work properly

Heya guys,

I have sucessfully included the EX6150v2 as Access Point in my network with a Fritzbox 7490 getting the full speed.

Following problem occured:

Devices next to the Access Point have a 33% chance of being directly connected to the device when entering the room.
It seems that the device itself choses, whether it accepts a device trying to enter it's WLAN or not. The settings to automatically      allow any new connected device has been set and therefore should be open for any new device trying to connect.

--> There is no other Repeater or Accesspoint in any close range to the EX6150v2

Example:

There is a Smart TV 4 meters away from the Access Point. When plugging the LAN Cable into the TV, there is 24/7 full signal (internet connection) the moment the TV starts.

When using the Access Point, it is a pure gamble whether the TV will be connected when started. Often the TV, Laptop or any other device doesn't even connect AT ALL. 

Turning on&off the TV 10 times in a row ended up being connected 4 times immediately, 3 times NOT AT ALL and 3 times after 5-15 minutes.

The Firmware is UP TO DATE of the Access Point as well as the TV, Laptop & Smartphones.

Looking forward to your help, community! 

Kind Regards

HansertP

Model: EX6150v2|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Access Point EX6150v2 doesn't work properly

1. up to date isn't a number. Which actual version are you on? 

2. did you setup the EX6150v2 in access point mode or extender mode? 

3. Was it setup using wps or the installation assistant?

4. if you're running the extender in extender mode, are you using mesh (single ssid) function?

Message 2 of 9
HansertP
Tutor

• Hardware Version: EX6150v2
  • Firmware Version: V1.0.1.94

Of course as Access Point, else I wouldn't state it.

Installation Assistant.

I used the same SSID as the main WIFI from my Fritzbox to make it more easy for Devices to switch to the best available Repeater / Access point. (which I now, after 2 months in use, changed, to more clearly identify the problem)

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

@HansertP wrote:
  • Hardware Version: EX6150v2
  • Firmware Version: V1.0.1.94

Of course as Access Point, else I wouldn't state it.----And its good to clarify because in access point mode, the extender isn't a mesh device.  They only act as mesh devices in extender mode. It doesn't roam with smart roaming like it does in extender mode. Devices will be sticky and only roam if they've dropped connections or if the connection has become unusable. 

Installation Assistant.

I used the same SSID as the main WIFI from my Fritzbox to make it more easy for Devices to switch to the best available Repeater / Access point. (which I now, after 2 months in use, changed, to more clearly identify the problem)----And which you've found out isn't easier. Its more complicated because now you have a device with the same ssid that you can't automatically roam to because its running in access point mode. And because it has the same ssid, you can't just select it from your wireless networks on your phone. 

Options? 

1. change it to extender mode and use it as an extender if you want it to act as mesh with smart roaming. 

2. leave it in access point mode and leave the ssid the same. devices will be sticky and not roam

3. leave it in access point mode and change the ssid so you can choose when to connect to your main wifi or the extender. 

Message 4 of 9
HansertP
Tutor

Thanks so much for your time and quick response with solution options.

This is highly appreciated! 🙂 

I will test your options (with Accesspoint) the following days, since Repeater will not be able to use down there as the signal is too weak and reply to this thread with my results.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Good luck!

The mesh extenders are great in concept but if needing that hardwired connection and smart roaming, not the best option. 

The only netgear devices I know that support a wired backhaul (and wireless) and use smart roaming are the Orbi setups and the MK60/62/63 setups. Sadly a bit more of a buy in. 

Message 6 of 9
HansertP
Tutor

Heya,

I tried it for a few days now.

The devices may connect, but have no internet access (even though the Access Point is sucesfully connected to the internet as the fritzbox shows...

Could it be that the static IP Address I had to give the AP causes those tremendous problems?

Whether its a cellphone, Tablet, Laptop or similar, all struggle to connect often.

I don't care whether I manually ahve to connect to the AP with my devices, I just want this **bleep** thing to finally work as the F it is supposed to do.

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

Is there a reason you set it with a static ip address? 

Message 8 of 9
HansertP
Tutor

Sorry for the late reply.

There was a reason but I can't remember. 

Anyways, I turned off the static IP and let it run the last 2 weeks. 

--> No changes. Connecting to the Wifi still takes a massive long time ( >10-20 minutes ), if it connects at all with internet connection.

Often it connects but ending up having no internet.

I yet am totally clueless of what the problem may be. I even decreased the Strength of the Access Point to make it not interfer with others from floors above.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7