× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access point or range extender???

wthomas69
Tutor

Access point or range extender???

looking for a device that i can connect to an existing router (WNR1000) with cat5 that will extend my wireless range. i have the router in my finished basement connected to a switch that has 2 pcs, 2 game consoles and 2 printers connected to it. i have a cat5 cable up to the first floor connected to a 3rd pc. i want to connect THAT wire to a access point or range extender so i can get wifi to the 3rd floor for a couple roku boxes. should i be looking at access points or range extenders (already tried the wall plug type range extender, wn3000rp, but it kept loosing signal and is now dead, no power)
Message 1 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Access point or range extender???

extender is you want to use for no cables on each floor
Message 2 of 5
wthomas69
Tutor

The piece of equipment that I buy will be on the first floor hard wired to a router in the basement. This first floor box needs to send wifi signals to the bedrooms on the second floor AND be wired to a Both a PC (sitting next to it) and the router in the basement, asking if I need a ranger extender or an access point?
Message 3 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Buy access point device for first floor and extender for 2nd floor
Message 4 of 5
fordem
Mentor

If it's going to be connected to the router with a cable, use an access point.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7