× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding latest firmware

RonJones
Aspirant

Adding latest firmware

Hi,

I need to log into my account to up-date the firmware but cannot do so. I keep getting the message "Your connection to the site is not private". I am using a wired connection, the WiFi on the PC is "off", there is nothing in the building switched on that has WiFi and I have no near neighbors. What else can possibly be causing this response? 

Model: WN3000RPv2|N300 WIFI Range Extender
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
DirkO
Apprentice

Re: Adding latest firmware

Well ... My apologies.... this is all a bit confusing.

I think all you are getting is a certificate error.

When a website wants to make a private connection it uses certificates. For them to work properly you have to register them with a online service  what costs money. So a alternative option is to use a "self signed" certificate, meaning no third party services has authenticated its authenticity. This will result in this error message "you are not using a private connection". This is normal and nothing to be worried about. Most home use equipment will have this as there is no real need to verify these certs. If you ever get this message on a public website, go back and stop visiting that site !!!!

Take a look at these instructions:

Your-connection-is-not-private-in-Google-Chrome-browser

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
DirkO
Apprentice

I think that's probably because of a self Signed Certificate.

Take a look at the picture and click the circled options when browsing to router

Cheers,

Message 2 of 8
RonJones
Aspirant

Thank you DirkO,

It is when I try to log in to "mywifiext.net" that I am refused entry - I can't get into the site. This is the address given with the down-loaded firmware file.

I should point out (if it isn't already obvious!) that I am NOT computer savvy!!

Ron Jones.

Message 3 of 8
DirkO
Apprentice

First make sure to go to your browser setting (safari or chrome or Firefox, whatever you are using) and make sure to delete all your web history. Sometimes your internet browser stores outdated information and that will cause it to be unable to connect.

If still that stil is a no go, try below instructions (I copied these instructions from mywifiext.net)

If you are not connected to your extender's WiFi network.

If your router and extender use the same WiFi network name (SSID), follow these instructions:

Note: These instructions apply only to the following extenders:

▪Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender Model EX8000
▪Nighthawk X6 AC2200 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender Model EX7700
▪Nighthawk X4S AC2200 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender Model EX7500
▪Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Dual-Band WiFi Mesh Extender Model EX7300
▪AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender Model EX7000
▪AC1900 Dual-Band WiFi Mesh Extender Model EX6400
To log in to your extender, enter one of the following URLs in your web browser depending on your device:

▪Windows: http://mywifiext
▪Mac OS X or iOS:http://mywifiext.local
▪Android: http://<extender's IP address>
For more information, visit https://kb.netgear.com/000044735.
Note: To find your extender's IP address, log in to your router and look for a list of devices connected to your router. The extender's IP address displays in the list. For more information, see your router's user manual.

If your router and extender use different WiFi network names (SSIDs), make sure that your device is connected to your extender's network.

To log in to your extender, enter mywifiext.net in your web browser.

For more information, visit http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29746.
Message 4 of 8
RonJones
Aspirant

Hi DirkO,

Thanks for all the info.

I discovered I had a second browser on my PC that I'd never used and had no history or anything stored, so I tried again to log into "mywifiext". Sadly I got the same response "You are not using a private connection".

I will try changing the password on my router and see if that helps!

Thanks again for your time.

Ron J.

Message 5 of 8
DirkO
Apprentice

Well ... My apologies.... this is all a bit confusing.

I think all you are getting is a certificate error.

When a website wants to make a private connection it uses certificates. For them to work properly you have to register them with a online service  what costs money. So a alternative option is to use a "self signed" certificate, meaning no third party services has authenticated its authenticity. This will result in this error message "you are not using a private connection". This is normal and nothing to be worried about. Most home use equipment will have this as there is no real need to verify these certs. If you ever get this message on a public website, go back and stop visiting that site !!!!

Take a look at these instructions:

Your-connection-is-not-private-in-Google-Chrome-browser

Message 6 of 8
RonJones
Aspirant

Hello again DirkO,

Thanks again for your help and patience.

Before I try anything else, I wonder if this makes any sense.

Shortly after getting the email telling me to update the firmware on my extender, I got a message from AVG on my mobile telling me that "the link TalkTalk 04....76.ext. is risky". This seemed to me to tally with the note from Netgear that there was a problem with my set-up. Since taking the extender out of the system I get "No issues found" when I scan. I also get the same response when I scan my PC with W10 security and TalkTalk Supersafe!

Does that mean there is a security issue with the extender itself?

I can't, of course, log into "mywifiext" from my PC via wifi or LAN and get the response "you are not connected via your entender" or something similar.

Sorry to take so much of your time.

Regards, RonJ.

Message 7 of 8
RonJones
Aspirant

Hi DirkO,

Many, many thanks for your valuable help with my problem - I am most grateful for your patience!

Following your last post, I went through all your suggestions again and have now updated my extender.

(All this high tech stuff makes my brain hurt - but then I am 88 years old so it's not really surprising!)

Best regards, Ron Jones.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7