× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding two EX7300v2 as Extenders to an Ex7300v2 Access Point

MaxQ
Initiate

Adding two EX7300v2 as Extenders to an Ex7300v2 Access Point

Does anyone know if this is possible? Seems like it should work. Using WPS button and the onboard app doesn't work.

Model: EX7300v2|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Adding two EX7300v2 as Extenders to an Ex7300v2 Access Point

Can you? Probably. 

should you? probably not. 

A standard single/dual band extender drops throughput by 50%. this happens because it has to use the same chip to go router----extender and then extender----devices and it can't do both at once. And thats 50% of what it recieves. Because of distance/interference/obstructions, its probably starting off at much less than 100% of the routers speed. 

And thats for the first extender. Add another one daisy chained and it takes that same hit but based off the signal its getting from the extender and not from the router. So its speeds are more than likey much less than 25% of what the router is putting out. 

the triband extenders/mesh systems have a dedicated wireless channel just to help avoid that. 

I usually advise those wanting more than 1 extender, to make sure you set them up in a star configuration. 

Star: extender<-------router------>extender

Not daisy chained

Daisy: router------->extender------>extender

It can also create issues when using more than 1 extender because they connect to the ssid and if its the same from the router and extenders, it can create issues. Another reason I usually recommend moving to an actual mesh system like orbi if you're needing more than 1 extender. 

Message 2 of 5
Gardner23
Aspirant

Fulfilled to consider your to be as I would survey I have an unclear issue, I am likewise confused and requiring light on this not well characterized issue. Need help. mcdvoice customer survey

Message 3 of 5
MaxQ
Initiate

Thanks for the reply, Plemans - VERY informatitve.

Acutally, here's the way I configured my system:

[EX7300v3 (Extender)] ------------------------[EX7300v2 (Access Point)] ------------------------ EX7300v2 (Extender)

(North side of house)           47'                               |                                        25'             (South side of house)

|  (Cat 6a - 1Gbit)

|

[Router]

This is a rather large house (6100 sqft) and the distances for coverage from North to South roughly 119'. A quick test showed on the upper band the AP is transfering up to 985mps and up to 400mps on the low side. Very accetable. Throughout the entire house, the data rate increase is very noticable, with most graphic-intense websites having a 1-2 second load time (non-cashed) at the limit of both ends of the house.

The trick is to have the extenders in factory setup mode (reset to factory settings (via the onboard web interface, if necessary). Of course, the the unit is just out of the box, no need to reset. Once the AP is linked to the router, use the WPS button on each extender to link them to the AP (press the WPS button on the Extender first, then the AP) then initialize them using the built-in interface, and there's the rub. For me, the whole www.mywifi... blah blah thing didn't work, so I use the IP address of the unit itself. To do this, I got into the router and saw which IP was new, then typed that into the browser, e.g., 192.168.254.131 and up pops the Netgear app asking you to initialize a new extender. Self-explanitory after that.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

sounds like you have them setup nicely. I hope they stay stable for you. With that big of a house, next time I'd look at a full mesh system like orbi
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7