× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Address Reservation with EX7300 Mesh WiFi Extender

crispy3
Guide

Address Reservation with EX7300 Mesh WiFi Extender

I'm using a Nighthawk R7500v2 and just added a EX7300 mesh extender.  I need to have assigned/reserved IPs for specific devices that are now connecting to the extender rather than directly to the router.  This is making them not receive the correct assigned IPs.  Additionally, these devices do not even appear in the router's connected devices list.  They appear as connected devices for the extender (on the separate page to manage that), however the extender seems to assign it's own IPs at will, ignoring rules setup on the router.  It also doesn't have any options for IP management or assignment.  This breaks significant portions of my smart home system.  How can I have reliable assigned IPs when using the EX7300 mesh extender?

Message 1 of 12
crispy3
Guide

Re: Address Reservation with EX7300 Mesh WiFi Extender

I did some more digging on this topic and found these bullet points in the product manual for the EX7300:

4. Select Settings > Connected Devices. The Connected Devices page displays the MAC addresses and virtual MAC addresses for computers and WiFi devices that are connected to the extender network.

5. On the router, add the extender’s virtual MAC address and all the virtual MAC addresses connected to the extender network to your router’s MAC filter table.

There are no "virtual MAC addresses" listed anywhere on the connected devices page.  It only lists IP Address, Device Name, and MAC address, which is the original MAC address for the device, not an altered or "virtual" one.

Message 2 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Note that if the extender is connected to the router network then it shouldn't be assigning any IP addresses.  The DHCP messages are forwarded to your router, and it assigns the addresses.

The extender will assign IP addresses when it isn't connected to a router network.  That's needed to allow extender setup.

Is the extender working properly (that is, can you reach the internet when you are connected to it)?

@crispy3 wrote:

There are no "virtual MAC addresses" listed anywhere on the connected devices page.  It only lists IP Address, Device Name, and MAC address, which is the original MAC address for the device, not an altered or "virtual" one.

Assuming the devices connected to the extender can reach the internet...

You should be able connect the devices to the extender, and then see the virtual mac address in the router's attached devices list.

It is also possible to get them from a PC.  With Windows you can ping the device, and then use arp -a.  That will show you the full arp cache (including the device you just pinged).

Note that the router won't let you reserve the same IP address to two different mac addresses. 

Message 3 of 12
crispy3
Guide

Unfortunately the 'Connected Devices' interface on the router does not list these devices, however they are connected to the extender and do have internet access.  When I view the extender (mywifiext.local - which forwards me to the extender), it lists these devices but with their correct, non-"virtual" MAC addresses. 

After pinging the devices and running arp -a, all devices connected to the extender have the same MAC address, which appears to be invalid.  They are all listed as e:2:8e:98:96:6c, including the extender itself.  So I'm still at a loss as to how to assign these devices IP addresses.

By the way this is the hardware and firmware:

Router - Nighthawk X4 R7500v2   --  V1.0.3.36

Extender - EX7300  --  V1.0.2.136

Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@crispy3 wrote:

So I'm still at a loss as to how to assign these devices IP addresses.

If they all show the same mac address, then your only option is to use static addresses, which is not ideal.

Message 5 of 12
crispy3
Guide

Many of the connected devices are small, simple smart home devices such as WiFi controllers.  They need a consistent IP address to be correctly identified and tie in with some other smart home systems and automations.  I'm not sure how I could even assign a static IP address to such a device, is there a way?

This is incredibly disappointing as I did a lot of research before making these purchases and multiple Netgear articles indicated this would not be an issue.  This among other Netgear issues and bugs has me incredibly frustrated.  Unfortunately its too late to return the router, but looks like the extender will be going back if this cannot be handled in a way that Netgear's documentation indicates.  I'll have to go with a company that has their act together.  Obviously that's not Netgear.

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Just to clarify, I don't work for Netgear.  Hopefully a Netgear mod like @DexterJB will chime in with a better solution.

Message 7 of 12
crispy3
Guide

Yes, I know, and I really really appreciate your help.  Just very frustrated with Netgear and the countless hours I've wasted trying to accomplish a simple task, using equipment that does not operate as it's documented.  Didn't mean aim any resentment towards you, again thanks for your time and help.

Message 8 of 12
dskv
Aspirant

I agree with you.

I also use an extender in the basement and some of the MAC address last 6 are the same because the devices with purchased from the same vendor around the same time and I am not able to do IP reservation on my router.

This is so dumb, there is no reason to do this but but to increase speed on paper that really does not work in real life.

Message 9 of 12
crispy3
Guide

I agree... very dumb issue and Netgear's documentation is not correct.  Its either because of their incompetince or to try and sell equipment claiming it works better than it actually does, and has features it does not.  Their support is absolutely useless and a complete waste of time as well.  

I replaced all of my Netgear equipment (now using Samsung Mesh Wifi which uses Plume) and couldn't be happier.  I was able to setup all my reservations without issues, and as an added bonus the range is MUCH better and MUCH faster than my Nighthawk + Extender, with lots of new added features as well.  The management software also doesn't look like it was created in 1990, as Netgear's does.  I will never purchase another Netgear product again.

Message 10 of 12
dsldsl1980
Aspirant

Was this ever resolved?  I'm really having a hard time with this too 😞

Message 11 of 12
crispy3
Guide

I resolved it by buying equipment from another manufacturer, who's products work as advertised (and much better all around I've found).  Netgear and their tech support are absolutely useless.  If you need this functionality you'll need to purchase equipment from another brand.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7