× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Advantage or disadvantage with "one wifi name"?

J_Boll
Follower

Advantage or disadvantage with "one wifi name"?

Hey There -

Generally, our AC2200 Nighthawk extender seems to work fine, outside having to reboot it every once in a while.

Had a slight issue with it this AM and I checked some settings and it go me wondering:

Is there any disadvantage to using the "one Wifi name" setting on the extender?

Strangely there is nothing about this setting in the documentation. Could it be that devices are not using the extender and just trying to connect to the original router?

Thx. 

J

Model: EX7300v2|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Advantage or disadvantage with "one wifi name"?

With the onewifi feature running, your devices roam based on their own roaming protocols. Most newer devices have it built in so it tends to only be older devices that aren't as efficient with it. They also bandsteer between 2.4ghz and 5ghz. which is also key because 2.4ghz tends to have more interference than 5ghz. 

I didn't used to use onewifi because I was "set in my ways" but the more I use it, the more I appreciate it. 

some of the more dedicated users disable it so they can choose which wireless band/ssid to connect to. It allows a bit finer control which is important for gaming/testing. Or if their in an area with many wireless signals, then the 2.4ghz can be almost worthless. Then its worth seperating them out so you can put streamers/gaming devices on the 5ghz. 

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Advantage or disadvantage with "one wifi name"?

Mostly advantages in the"One WiFi Name" concept - modern clients can connect to the same network name, and on moving around thee is the opportunity the clients can seamlessly roam between the 5 GHz and the 2.4 GHz radio on the same extender. This does avoid the sticky client behaviour when there are different network names are configured for each band, because the client would only disconnect if the signal does become more than very weak and a manual change of the selected network name.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7