× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Advice wanted for a good wifi configuration

MSCA
Aspirant

Advice wanted for a good wifi configuration

I need to make a good configuration for a customer of mine who lives on a farm. He lives in an area with very poor cellphone signals so he wants to have a good wifi in and around his house. Inside his house I want to make a wifi netword around a Nighthawk R7000 router, an EX8000 extender and an EX7500 extender. The latter one is chosen because it can directly be placed in a wall outlet.

So far so good I think. Now I need to place several accersspoints around the farmbuilding. I wonder if I can use Netgear WND930 accesspoints. If someone walkes around the house or inside out while making a phonecall using wifi he needs to switch fast and without interruption from one extender or accesspoint to the other.

Who can advice me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Re: Advice wanted for a good wifi configuration

Good WiFi at this scale can't be built based on a consumer router, consumer extenders, ... and the WND930 - while being the only outdoor AP from Netgear as of writing - is with it's 802.11n technology hopelessly outdated.

The "best" WiFi is established by installing decent wireless access points connected by network cabling / fiber. Is a coverage with network cables (reminder: max cable length 100 meters) and where required fiber for longer distances with some local (PoE) switches for the AP in scope for this project?

Message 2 of 9
MSCA
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, Shumaku. In that case I will have to figure out something else. I have the EX8000 and the R7000 in store and hoped to use and sell them here. But I have to find better outdoor AP's.

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@MSCA wrote:

But I have to find better outdoor AP's.

Again, what network design are you behind? APs perform only if wired - regardless of the vendor and model. 

We're missing outdoor enclosures for the Netgear WAC505/510/540 - together with some GC switches this allow to create a nice network design.

Message 4 of 9
MSCA
Aspirant

That's correct. The accesspoints will all be wired with PoE using a PoE switch.

Message 5 of 9
MSCA
Aspirant

That's correct. The accesspoints will all be wired with PoE using a PoE switch.

Around the house I can use Cat6 wiring. Inside the house i have to use extenders.

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

If you want to provide reliable WiFi - with the aim for a good WiFi calling capabilities - stay far away from extenders, and brand, any model.

Message 7 of 9
MSCA
Aspirant

Ok. Thanks for your advice. I will start over and make a totally new plan.

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Look into the Netgear Insight system offerings .... you can even configure and act as an MSP ...  For the APs, and distributed switches, you might have to find some [outdoor] enclosures. Depends a little it on the weather conditions your network should operate over summer and winter.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7