× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AmA Handoff

beezer
Apprentice

AmA Handoff

Moving to a new office. I will have several Cat7 drops. The R6300v2 and R7800 listed in this post are the current routers (used as WAPs only) in my old office. Now...

I'd like to wire the WAPs and have romers do 802.11k handoff. I called sales ("We don't support it") and looked on the community boards (same info). Yet I know (or at least know the advertising says) that the EX8000 has it. So (a) what units are 802.11K capable, and (b) if the EX8000 is, then can I use it as a basic WAP through one of its RJ45's, and not the dedicated channel?

Any knowledgable input appreciated!

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router,R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Beezer 

Yes the ex8000 can do it and you may want to look at our business Access points.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
beezer
Apprentice

Adendum: Before I get this response in this forum too, I DID consider ORBI. The (confused) consensus is that wired backhaul is a work-in-progress, plus, I really don't feel the mesh mania. When someone in authority says wired backhaul works, I might use it in places just for esthetic reasons. Still, it feels like joining a cult and giving up fine control, just to get hand-off.

Message 2 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Beezer 

Yes the ex8000 can do it and you may want to look at our business Access points.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 5
beezer
Apprentice

Thanks. I should mention this is a home office, but... suggest a business WAP for me, please?

Message 4 of 5
beezer
Apprentice

Actually, as long as I'm asking for free pre-sales advice / consulting... Smiley Wink

I have a Linksys LRT224 (apostasy!). If I buy two WAC730s will I be able to:

1) Tune the power levels on the WAPs so they can be as close as 50 feet apart?

2) Set up a guest profile with a tagged VLAN for all bands (e.g., untag the non-guest LAN securely)?

3) Have the guest profile serve DHCP/DNS from the LRT224?

Bonus: Is there a better SOHO switch/firewall from Netgear, and what makes it good?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7