× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Appalling Support

Ironmonger
Tutor

Appalling Support

Hi,
Has anyone else experienced the same level of appalling customer support that I’m enduring in trying to replace a faulty extender?
I bought an EX7700 on 19 Aug. That device caused anything connected to it to show full WiFi signal but blocked them from connecting to the internet. In trying to troubleshoot it, the support agent asked me to do a factory reset and firmware update, which failed and bricked the device.
I was then threatened with a £20 charge to cover the postage to replace it, which I challenged and was got assurance would be refunded.
The replacement extender arrived and has had a different issue since I first plugged it in. This one kicks any device connected to it off the network and causes an error message saying the network key is wrong, which it patently is not.
I have now spent nearly 6 hours on the phone trying to resolve this.
Yesterday I was told that if a factory reset didn’t fix it I would be sent another replacement. The issues remain so I contacted support to request said replacement, only to be told nothing exists on my records to show that promise and that I would need to do more troubleshooting.
On top of this I’ve had multiple calls cut off, with support agents seemingly unable to call me back despite them confirming my number and country code. I’ve also had multiple cases closed when issues still exist, one time after the system failed to accept an update.
Oh, and the app issues incorrect firmware update status and requirements during installation.
Am I the only person who has suffered in this way?
All I want is a working extender but, after 2 devices, 3 weeks and nearly 6 hours on the phone that seems like an unachievable ambition.
I’ve sent a message to customer support but, perhaps unsurprisingly, I’ve heard nothing back.
I realise that the world is a very difficult place right now and I really am trying to be patient and understanding. But this situation is completely unworkable.
If anyone out there has any suggestions at all, I’d be more than grateful to receive them.
Sorry for the rant but I have no idea what else to do right now.
Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 7
DavidRC
Apprentice

Which firmware do you have? I had authentication problems (especially with my Android mobile and tablet) when my EX7700 updated to the .210 firmware, but since going back to the .206 firmware everything is fine.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/EX7700-Firmware-210/m-p/1972650/high...

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

What router are you connecting it to? 

What firmware is on the extender? 

Are you attempting to set it up using the wps method? 

Message 3 of 7
Ironmonger
Tutor

Hi David,

I am in the UK and have a Virgin Media Hub 3 router.
In terms of firmware, it’s on .210. How do I take it back to .206? Also, given the service I’ve had from support, I’m not sure I’m comfortable doing that without them suggesting it; my fear is it bricks the device as the last firmware update did and they say it’s my fault.

And with regard to WPS, I’m not sure that’s a problem. The extender does see the network itself, and does connect itself to the network. It then pushes out that network to other devices but that’s when I hit the password problem.
Thank you, though, for taking the time to reply. If there’s anything else you can think of, I’m all ears!
Message 4 of 7
Ironmonger
Tutor

But I will post that firmware rollback as an update to my case and see what they say.

Thank you
Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

What security method are you using on the virgin hub? some security settings have caused issues with virgin hubs adding extenders. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Adding-wifi-extender/td-p/4155335

The reason I ask about wps is that it doesn't always get coded the same. If it was setup using that method, I'd recommend factory resetting the extender and trying to install it using the installation assistant. 

Message 6 of 7
DavidRC
Apprentice

To change to .206 firmware you can get the firmware here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX7700.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.0.206

It is a zip file so you have to unzip it.

Then logon to your router (mywifiext.local on Windows) and you will see that Firmware Update is an option and you can use Upload Update File (it warns you that it is older than the current version). As to whether it will brick your extender, all I can say is that it worked for me.

This .206 firmware has been working fine for me for a couple of days.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7