× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BGW 210 and Nighthawk X4 Extender in AP mode

escopazo
Aspirant

BGW 210 and Nighthawk X4 Extender in AP mode

Hello, 

I've got the BGW near the garage (not by choice) where all the cat5s run from throughout the house, and so I was hoping to use the X4 in AP mode, plug it into an ethernet outlet in my kitchen and I'd have another stronger wifi signal where needed. When I do so there's no internet connection coming from the X4. If I plug the X4 directly into the back of the BGW it works great, but of course thats only for testing and doesn't solve my problem as I need it more near the center of the house and running cable is not an option.

Can APs only be plugged directly into routers? Is there a way I can keep my hard wired connections into the BGW and then use the X4 for wifi? Or I don't mind even having both wifi's as my garage door and such are super close to the BGW, but definitely would like to keep the 3 wired ports functional if possible, as thoise go to Shield TV and computers.

Thanks for any and all help,

Scott

Model: EX7300v2|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

If it works directly plugged into the router then the EX7300 is working fine.  I'd check your cables connecting as well as the cat5e run. do you have a cable tester you can use? As long as you're under 300ft it shouldn't matter if you're right next to the BGW210 or 200ft away if its hardwired.  

Message 2 of 10
escopazo
Aspirant

Well, I can plug my laptop directly into the ethernet port in my kitchen and it works great, so I don't see a problem with the cables. The house is relativley new, 7 years old. I'll test with other ports around the house, but it seems like its something else. 

I was reading about IP Passthrough and Bridge and possibly having to dedicate an ip address for the X4, but I wanted to get some advice first that its even possible before I start trying to figure this out on my own.

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

So if you hook it directly to the router, it works?

And if you hook your laptop to the ethernet port in your kitchen that you plan on using, it works?

Whats in between the router and the ethernet port in the kitchen? Is there another device?

Message 4 of 10
escopazo
Aspirant

correct and correct! which is mind boggling to me because it seems to me that its just two Cat5 cables connected through the outlet, but I guess not. Nothing in between, the cat5 runs right to the kitchen outlet from the back of the router. 

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Do you have a cable tester to check the cable? I know that it works with the laptop but maybe something small is causing an issue. I had a cable that had a small nick in 1 wire that caused me endless trouble before I realized that it was the issue. 

Or even just try re-installing the cable ends. 

Message 6 of 10
escopazo
Aspirant

No, I'll have to pick one up, but I did test it on 4 other ethernet outlets in the house and the outcome was the same.

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

do you have a longer run cable? roughly the distance from your router-kitchen or a little longer? if you plug that in and its working, something within the wiring is wrong or incorrectly ran. 

Message 8 of 10
escopazo
Aspirant

That's what I'm using now, 50ft just laying on the floor thru the house for testing and it works, but its plugged directly into the router, whereas all the ethernet outlets, I guess, would be considered indirect b/c I'm running another cable from outlet to X4. But you're saying it should work b/c technically the X4/Router should still see it as one cable directly plugged into router, not 2 cables connected through outlet.

Maybe there's something up in the attic after all these cables leave the router and go thru the house, but I've been up there and saw nothing but cable, and plus I don't know why there would be another device inbetween router-outlets.

What I probably could do, once I learn how, is just cut and cap the kitchen ethernet cable to have a male plug and then plug it in directly to X4 since the line is already ran. 

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

most cable runs within a house are just end to end. There usually isn't a switch within the run but who knows what was done at your house. 

If you're running a 50 ft cable and its working, something within the wiring might be bad. Or the cable has something causing interference.

What type of ethetnet cable is it? Cat5, cat5e, cat6, etc. 

Several things that can cause issues are things like running parallel to power lines, fluorescent lighting, running over higher draw motors/by them, or similar devices that have electrical/magnetic interfernce can cause issues. 

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7