× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best Mesh Router for metal barn

Wally2321
Tutor

Best Mesh Router for metal barn

I bought a EAX80 but it is not working well with my metal barn. The signal is not getting through. I would like to purchase a Netgear mesh router that can have the router in the barn but I can hook up an external antenna outside the metal barn. I need recommendations on the best mesh router. My main router is a R9000. I have 2 access points hooked to it. Any help would appreciated!!
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Best Mesh Router for metal barn

The problem isn't the extender as the EAX80 is one of the best extenders you can get. Its the metal walls. Metal does an excellent job of blocking wifi. You could have the best router/satellite and not penetrate it decently. 

Best bet?

1. run a hardwired connecting from the home to the barn with an underground or even over ground cable. 

2. use a point to point system that outputs an ethernet connection. You'd have the system on the outside of the barn with an ethernet then ran into the barn and connected to an access point or extender in access point mode. 

3. you could try a powerline or moca (ethernet over coax) system to get a connection into the barn and then connect the access point to that. 

4. I've seen people actually get it done by not going through the metal but having an extender placed in a window with direct line of sight to the home/router. that way the signal is passing through the glass and not the metal. (done this myself) 

Message 2 of 7
Wally2321
Tutor

Thanks. Is there a router that I can hook up with an antenna outside the walls?
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

If you put an antenna outside the walls, what broadcasts internally to the walls? 

And if you buy a router just for this task and another for inside, it'd be better off going with the system designed for point to point as it'll have higher bandwidth and lower latency

Message 4 of 7
Wally2321
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. I thought you could unscrew the external antenna and attach a cable to an antenna you could put outside the building.

Here is what I read…

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/connect-wireless-router-external-antenna-60161.html

Is this not possible?
Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

You could potentially do that. But the antenna is send/receive. And if its on the external side of the building, what broadcasts inside it the building as the metal is still going to be blocking it from reaching inside the building? 

Are you going to hardwire a router/extender to the router to act as the access point inside the building?

Message 6 of 7
richreel
Aspirant

thanks for link I was looking for this answer. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7