× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best mesh extender for Comcast xb3?

mondrin
Guide

Best mesh extender for Comcast xb3?

I've got the Comcast XB3 modem/router that does not provide a stable 5GHz signal to my back rooms.  These rooms are maybe 50 feet from the router and pass through 3 or 5 walls.  My router does not do AX and since I only have 350Mbps service, won't be getting an AX router (I do have 3 devices which support AX).  I've been looking at the EX8000, EX7000 and the newer EAX20.  I know the EX8000 and 7700 should mesh with my current router.  Does the EAX20 do this, being it's only a dual band?  I currently have my 2.5 and 5GHz channels separate on the XB3 and don't trust it's steering capability.  Can any of the extenders mesh each channel individually?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Best mesh extender for Comcast xb3?

I'd recommend the EX8000 or EX7700. 

both are triband extenders. The benefit to tribands is that they have a dedicated 5ghz chip just for router---extender communication. 

Most standard extenders (dual and single band) take a 50% speed hit because they have to use the same chip for router---extender communication and then extender-----device communication. And they can't do both at once. Because of the dedicated chip, the tribands don't take that speed hit. 

The XB3 isn't a AX router so upgrading to an AX extender isn't going to be much benefit because the connection back to the router is still an AC connection. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7