× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best wired access point for seamless roaming paired with R7000

JassonRM
Aspirant

Best wired access point for seamless roaming paired with R7000

Hi, I´m looking to buy an access point for a bedroom with wired ethernet connection, ideally it would provide seamless roaming with the main router and have wired ethernet ports. Does any router or extender in ap mode works or do I need something else for the seamless roaming? In the room my 5Ghz band is really weak and slow but keeps connected, and the 2,4Ghz is a little stronger and the internet works fine (15 Mbps) but I would like something faster for my LAN.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Best wired access point for seamless roaming paired with R7000

The EX7000 should do that (letting you set the network name and passphrase to match your router).

Ultimately it's up to your client devices to actually switch to the extender network, there's nothing the extender can do to force the switch.  However, generally clients will switch when they see a much stronger signal.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Do you have ethernet connected to the bedroom?  An "Access Point" is connected to the router with ethernet, an "Extender" is connected to the router over wifi.  Netgear extenders also have an Access Point Mode.

The reason this matters:  Normally you place an extender somewhere between the router and the dead spot - in a place where it gets a solid connection back to the dead spot, and also to the dead spot (the bedroom in your case). But you also want ethernet, and that requires that the extender be placed in the bedroom.

If you do mean AP mode, then the EX7000, and the EX8000 are both possibilities.  A second nighthawk router in AP mode would also work.  The EX7000 has the same radio specs as your R7000.

Message 2 of 4
JassonRM
Aspirant

Yes, the bedroom has ethernet so I need an Access Point. What I meant with the wifi signal is that I don't want my devices to keep connected to the router's wifi. I would prefer that the AP has an integrated switch but I could also buy a separated one. Would the EX7000 or a router provide seamless roaming in AP mode?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

The EX7000 should do that (letting you set the network name and passphrase to match your router).

Ultimately it's up to your client devices to actually switch to the extender network, there's nothing the extender can do to force the switch.  However, generally clients will switch when they see a much stronger signal.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7