× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Blocking someone else's extender

OutoftheWay
Follower

Blocking someone else's extender

Hello All,

I work at a public library, and we have an open wireless network. We leave our network, Library, open as to keep things simple for our patrons. A week or two ago, we noticed a Library_EXT network popped up. Our network speed is significantly lower with the presense of this extended network. Through research, we discovered that this was being created by a Netgear Range Extender.

Using a cell phone WiFi analyzer, we tracked the signal to a strip mall, with apartments above, across the street. Short of issuing a cease and desist order, is there anything we can do to prevent the range extender from piggybacking our signal?

Thanks,
OutoftheWay
Message 1 of 15
fordem
Mentor

It's not going to be easy to block a connection AND keep your network open - about the only option open to you is MAC address filtering where you specify the MAC of the extender as not being allowed to connect to your router (if your router allows blocking by MAC address) - the problem there is MAC address spoofing is very easily done, and your miscreant can change his MAC address and get past your block in a matter of minutes, once he figures out what you've done.

You can try moving your router further away to reduce the strength of the signal he/she can receive or move it to the front wall closest to the strip mall and the line the wall behind it with aluminum foil to try to block the signal. going through, whilst still making it available in the library itself.
Message 2 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Use more device like GuestGate. www.guestgate.com

product will work great for what you need.
Message 3 of 15
Jack_
Aspirant

I would simply setup a password for the wireless network and distribute this password to the library visitors.
Message 4 of 15
fordem
Mentor

jmizoguchi wrote:
Use more device like GuestGate. www.guestgate.com

product will work great for what you need.

How does that prevent Mr Free Loader from getting free internet?
Message 5 of 15
fordem
Mentor

Jack™ wrote:
I would simply setup a password for the wireless network and distribute this password to the library visitors.

So Mr Free Loader comes over to the library, gets the password, goes home and sets it up in his extender - who have you inconvenienced him or the rest of the library patrons?
Message 6 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Guestgate has portal . Passcode
Message 7 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Unit has Other features but other extender will not work because Passcode portal , not encryption
Message 8 of 15
Scubbie
Apprentice

I would also consider switching the WiFi off when you go home. This way Mr Free Loader can't access it during the night.

Normally I recommend against powering off a router over night as it can shorten the life expectancy of the router.

As for the suggestion of putting up ally foil, this isn't such a bad one. Covering the windows with suitable reflective material could keep the sunlight out and reduce the WiFi signal strength outside the building.

I would also recommend that you consider blocking some sites, such as access to well known gaming and torrent sites. It is possible that this is what Mr Free Loader is using your WiFi for and this would hinder his actions. Should any patrons complain, then a polite response is "It is a library, not somewhere to play on-line games or download illegal material".
Message 9 of 15
fordem
Mentor

jmizoguchi wrote:
Unit has Other features but other extender will not work because Passcode portal , not encryption

Unless I'm missing something the library will still need to distribute the passcode to the patrons, and Mr. Free Loader will still be able to walk across the street to the library and request the passcode and then go home and connect.
Message 10 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

With extender usage will not allow because of portal and
and unit has capable block Mac address , scheduled time, duration , etc.

Pass code can be created in multiple of it so you are not limited to just one
Message 11 of 15
fordem
Mentor

You're missing the point June - what can guest gate do to prevent internet access that they can't do right now without it?

MAC filtering they can already do, and for reasons previously discussed, it's not likely to be effective, multiple passcodes will simply inconvenience the other patrons, it's not going to stop Mr Free Loader for connecting for longer than it takes him to cross the street.
Message 12 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You're missing the point June - what can guest gate do to prevent internet access that they can't do right now without it?

Guest Gate has more tweaks then standard guest network can offer.

multiple passcodes will simply inconvenience the other patrons, it's not going to stop Mr Free Loader for connecting for longer than it takes him to cross the street.

Once you know the which are on then you can block the mac address. I don't think you can expect to stop someone on the spot...

Since you create multiple codes, all can have different attribute and see how it goes. it's not difficult to change it's passcode from the portal. I can tell is extender will not able to connect to guest gate unless actual pc will connect to the wifi at least.
Message 13 of 15
fordem
Mentor

First - you need to understand the issue before you can find a solution - the purpose of guest networks (and guest gate) is to allow guests internet access whilst keeping them off your internal LAN - that's NOT the issue here, so those tweaks will be of no value here.

Second - let's completly ignore MAC filtering - we both know it's not going to have any effect.

Third - how will multiple passcodes keep the free loader away? He just comes over and asks for a passcode and get it.
Message 14 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

that is on simple home end router does.

there other devices like guest gate can control the bandwidth, ports block. mac, etc to each pass codes. kill the usage the schedule at hours of operation.

the guy can come every day but I'm sure some point you will find who is the the one comes in the most. there is no ending but having a better tool can do better than then putting encryption key (ex WPA2 ) and cause more issues to other users connecting.

I guess it's all depends the OP feels. This no different then person to go McDonalds and uses ATT- Wifi use it which they don't use codes but there is other places that code and I'm sure code can give out to someone in same matter.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7