× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bridging back to R6300

rastatech
Aspirant

Bridging back to R6300

My new main router is the Netgear R6300. At the other end of the house are three devices with wired ethernet ports. I've connected them to a gigabit switch.

I am looking for an affordable device that will function in bridge mode -- to use wi-fi to bridge the switch and its small wired network to my main network managed by the R6300.

I could spend $200 for another R6300, since it theoretically has this capability, but Netgear Tech Support (Live Chat) told me this is being tested and probably shouldn't be used at this time. Also, other manufacturers sell cheaper routers with true bridge mode.

I could purchase an WN2500RP Range Extender, but its manual warns that throughput from the main network is slower than when connected directly to the main router. Netgear Tech Support told me the Extender will run at half the normal wi-fi rate for a given location.

I could purchase a less expensive Netgear router (WNDR3400, WNDR3800) running in 802.11n mode, and configure it as a wi-fi repeater, but this mode requires either WEP or no security. WPA/WPA2 are not supported in repeater mode.

Does Netgear offer a product (other than another R6300) that can bridge at 802.11n speeds from the R6300 to a another small wired network and will use WPA/WPA2?

I really like the R6300, but will be forced to return it if Netgear does not have an affordable bridging solution that uses WPA/WPA2.
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Bridging back to R6300

Nothing will change as ALL will do the half performance.

Connivence setup will loose your performance.

Extender helps for KEEPING the encryption at WPA2 where wirelessly connect two routers will loose encryption to WEP or NO security

Other choice are RUN cable or go with power line device and install 2nd R6xx model in AP mode (feature in router gui) or by access point but none are 802.11ac model for access point.
Message 2 of 4
rastatech
Aspirant

OK, thanks. The answer is no, there's no other Netgear product that will communicate at 802.11ac speeds (other than another R6300, and it's not clear the firmware is fully tested for that yet).

My solution was to purchase a 802.11n access point from another vendor that supports client mode (doesn't repeat). N is fast enough for now.

The R6300 is a great high-end home router. It's got superb range, dual band, excellent security firewall features plus 802.11ac capability as this starts showing up on new wi-fi devices. So I'm keeping the R6300 and I'm happy.
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Get extender models

Ex. Wn2500rp or other models to keep highest encryption
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements