× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Building to Building Wireless Network Bridge

Novice13
Aspirant

Building to Building Wireless Network Bridge

Hello,

I'm currently using a Nighthawk X10 AD7200 for my (very) small business internet. I understand it's meant more for home applications but for now that's what we have. I am willing to change routers if what I'm trying to accomplish makes it neccesary. I have a security camera system with POE cameras on our main building. We also have a building across the street as well and I would like to add additional cameras to our current security camera system. Obviously because the building is accross the street I can't run ethernet across or under the road. Is there a solution available to extend our network across the street wirelessly and then connect an eternet switch on that side of the road to expand our LAN to that building as well? Both buildings are metal buildings. Our current wifi will reach the building accross the street when the overhead doors are raised, then all but disappears completely when the buildings are shut up. I'm not looking to spend unnecesary money, but the cost isn't a real issue either if it can accomplish what I'm attempting to do. Thank you!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Building to Building Wireless Network Bridge

You've kind of stated whats causing all your issues. Metal.  It does a great job of blocking wifi signals. Even within a house, hvac does a great job of blocking signals. Its why I never recommend people have a router setup in their utility room.

Your metal garage doors/siding are going to continue to block signals even with the best router.  

Any chance that they're a couple of windows within line of sight that are close to each other? Potentially you can put the router-extenders in the windows and see if it works? Glass passes wifi signals through it like its not even there. 

A couple options you can look into:

1. A point-point system. Basically uses a directed wifi signal to transmit further. Its still not going to penatrate metal but would allow you more options in where you placed a router on each end.

2. MoCa setup. This is ethernet over coax. If theres a coax connection between buildings, you can use that option.

3. Using the orbi outdoor extender. This would allow you to have it outside. Downside is that it doesn't have an ethernet port on it and still wouldn't pass the signal through metal. 

4. Potentially powerline. Not sure how you're electrical is setup but you could potentially run a powerline line device on each end.

5. Talk to your isp. maybe if its got service at each building, they'll help with a business class setup and let you run a modem in each location? 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
Novice13
Aspirant

I should also mention, I do have an EX8000 Tri-Band extender. When I place it in that building across the street with just one overhead garage door up I have good internet quality. As soon as all the doors are closed up the internet drops to nothing at all. 

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

You've kind of stated whats causing all your issues. Metal.  It does a great job of blocking wifi signals. Even within a house, hvac does a great job of blocking signals. Its why I never recommend people have a router setup in their utility room.

Your metal garage doors/siding are going to continue to block signals even with the best router.  

Any chance that they're a couple of windows within line of sight that are close to each other? Potentially you can put the router-extenders in the windows and see if it works? Glass passes wifi signals through it like its not even there. 

A couple options you can look into:

1. A point-point system. Basically uses a directed wifi signal to transmit further. Its still not going to penatrate metal but would allow you more options in where you placed a router on each end.

2. MoCa setup. This is ethernet over coax. If theres a coax connection between buildings, you can use that option.

3. Using the orbi outdoor extender. This would allow you to have it outside. Downside is that it doesn't have an ethernet port on it and still wouldn't pass the signal through metal. 

4. Potentially powerline. Not sure how you're electrical is setup but you could potentially run a powerline line device on each end.

5. Talk to your isp. maybe if its got service at each building, they'll help with a business class setup and let you run a modem in each location? 

Message 3 of 4
Novice13
Aspirant

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was able to find a window that had been boarded shut by the previous owner. I removed the boarding and placed my current EX8000 extender in the window and everything is working perfectly now. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7