× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Buying suggestion - external Wi-Fi repeater

mleonelli
Follower

Buying suggestion - external Wi-Fi repeater

Hello Community!

I was looking at different Wi-Fi extenders by Netgear on Amazon but I am a bit unclear which kind of model/configuration would meet my needs.

I'd like to extend my Wi-Fi network up to 100m to connect two areas of my house that have a clear line of connection between each other.

So to clarify the setup, on one one side I hae a high-speed fiber modem broadcasting SSID1, from the second building this SSID1 cannot be seen or with a weak signal.

I would like to extend the signal without the need to cable connect the extender, so Wi-Fi to Wi-Fi, if the SSID is the same or not it's unimportant (while it would be good if the same).

On the second point, I am planning to put a second Wi-Fi extender to provide a stabler and stronger Wi-Fi only if needed.

What would you be your suggested buy list? I'd love to stay within the 100$-200$ range, if possible.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Buying suggestion - external Wi-Fi repeater

100M is quite far. 100M is the furthest you can run ethernet. And its potentially to far for a single standard extenders. 

Your goal of 100-200 might not make it because I'm not sure you'd do it with a single extender. 

And the problem with standard extenders is that they loose bandwidth for each hop. Reason why is they have to recieve and then retransmit data. And they can't do both at once so it looses 50% of the bandwidth. Plus it increases latency. And then if you're needing more than 1, by the time it gets to the 2nd extender, its only putting out less than 25% of what the original router was at. 

This is mitigated a bit with triband extenders as they reserve a band just for router-----extender communication. 

so if you're wanting to preserve speeds AND reach that far, you'd probably need a triband extender or 2 to bridge the distance.  You'd still take a little speed hit and some latency hit but it potentially could work.

Your other options?

1. Orbi triband (not the dual band orbi). Orbi is a triband system that uses a dedicated wired or wireless backhaul. and allows daisy chaining. You'd still take a little hit but much less than standard extenders. And you can add satellites as needed for addional coverage. 

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/

2. A point to point system like netgear airbridge. https://www.netgear.com/business/products/wireless/wireless-airbridge/wbc502.aspx

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7