× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C6250 extender question

SoxFan1
Guide

C6250 extender question

I currently have a C6250 Router Modem located in a first floor corner bedroom (due to connecting 2 pc's via ethernet in adjoining rooms) and an AC750 EX6100 extender in our basement at the opposite end of the house.  I do not have a good signal on the first floor at the opposite side of the house from the router.  I am not in a position at this time to move the router/modem to a more central location.  I am thinking of getting another AC750 for the side of the house with the current weak signal as a relatively inexpensive fix.  Would that be the best option given our situation or would upgrading the entire system (ideally keeping the C6250 as it is only a couple of years old) be a better option?

Couple  other items that may be relevant: We have Comcast as our ISP and have 300mbps service and have anywhere from 8-10 devices using wifi. We may at some point switch over to Fidium (fiber optic) as they recently brought service to the area. The lower tier of service from them is 1gig.   

Any input is appreciated and I am happy to provide any other info that may be helpful.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

You can change the ssid to whatever you want. You can use the old one so all your old devices just auto-connect. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I don't recommend using more than 1 extender. If you're needing more than 1 extender, I recommend people move to a mesh system like orbi or the mk nighthawk. 

With that said, You don't want the extender on the opposite side of the house from the router, you want it in the middle. The extenders still need a good signal to pickup and rebroadcast. 

How big is the home?

What are the interior walls made from? 

Message 2 of 14
SoxFan1
Guide

Thank you for responding.

I have a split level-each floor is 1200 sq. ft.  Walls are drywall with wood studs.

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

If you've already got 1 extender, I'd try some relocating before buying anything. 

Try several different locations for the C6250 and the extender. Sometimes things in the walls like hvac/appliances/etc can cause issues because they do a great job blocking wifi. So moving the router around and the extender around can help with eliminating those dead spots. 

Message 4 of 14
SoxFan1
Guide

I will give it a shot.

If that doesn't work, I would consider the mesh system you recommended.  If I plan on keeping the C6250 can the MK Nighthawk mesh system just work as extenders since I wouldn't need it to function as the router?

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

@SoxFan1 wrote:

I will give it a shot.

If that doesn't work, I would consider the mesh system you recommended.  If I plan on keeping the C6250 can the MK Nighthawk mesh system just work as extenders since I wouldn't need it to function as the router?

The mk won't work as satellites only. It needs the router to control the mesh system. You could go C6250--->MK system with  the mk in access point mode. But the router will still need to be wired in. 

You could also put the c6250 in modem only mode and connect a mesh system to it. 

Message 6 of 14
SoxFan1
Guide

Gotcha-use the existing as modem only then use the MK with satellite as router.  

Thank you very much for the assistance.  Have a great day.

Message 7 of 14
SoxFan1
Guide

One more question if I may.

If I do change the C6250 to modem only and go with a mesh system, will the new system recognize my existing network name, etc or will I need to start from scratch with the devices?

Thank you.

Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

You can change the ssid to whatever you want. You can use the old one so all your old devices just auto-connect. 

Message 9 of 14
SoxFan1
Guide

Thanks for all of your help.

Message 10 of 14
SoxFan1
Guide

Just wanted to thank you again for your help. I installed the MK 63 today and it is a tremendous improvement.  Easy to set up, great speeds and the dead zones I had are long gone.  Very happy with the purchase. 

Message 11 of 14
plemans
Guru

Glad its working well for you! Quite a step up from the non-mesh system. 

Message 12 of 14
SoxFan1
Guide

Follow up question.  All working well with MK63 until today when power went out for a while. When it came back on I couldn't reconnect with the new system.  I logged into the router and found the setting of modem only had reverted back to router and modem which was causing the issue. Because both of us are in the middle  of our workday I reset everything to the old way until I am off the clock later. Any thoughts on why the power outage pushed it back to both modes?   Would this happen anytime the power drops (not that often) or the modem is unplugged?

Message 13 of 14
plemans
Guru

It shouldn't revert back. It might be on its last legs as a modem. 

You could always put the C6250 in router mode (disable its wireless) and the MK system in access point mode. That way if the power does die again, the MK system should just auto-connect since its in ap mode. Don't put the mk system in AP mode until you've switched the c6250 back to router mode (if you choose to try this) 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7