× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C6900 Bridge Mode w Velop Mesh

sesty7
Guide

C6900 Bridge Mode w Velop Mesh

I have a c6900 which replaced the gateway provided by Xfinity. 

Looking at options for mesh wifi and saw a sale on the Velop system. As part of the set up, I would have to put the C6900 into bridge mode and connect all devices to the new Velop wifi.

I have my smart TV and PS4 hardwired to the C6900. Q1: If the Netgear is placed in bridge mode, would my hardwired devices no longer be conencted to the internet?

background:

My WFH setup used to be downstairs in the dinning room and I ran a 60' long ethernet run through the crawlspace connecting the computer to the router to try to save wifi bandwith with the wife WFH upstairs. I have since moved the office upstairs and working off existing wifi is not optimal for my needs. The modem is downstairs and on the opposite side of the house. (only placement option) 

Considering the mesh option to take advantage of the already run Ethernet as a backhaul for better connection for the mesh node, and hopfully stronger connect upstairs. That ethernet run is directly below the room I now have the WFH set up.

I am unsure of the quality of my coax connections so I dont want to go the MoCA route and Id like to avoid a WAP at the end of the ethernet run as the preference is to have one nertwork throughout the house. Is the mesh system even the best option for me?

i appreciate any insight as i have been looking around at options and not sure what the best fit would be

Model: C6900|High Speed Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

In bridge mode, it'd function as a modem only device. You'd only be able to connect the velop to it. 

But you can leave it in router mode and put the velop in access point mode. 

Just make sure to have the netgear and the velop on different wifi channels to prevent interference. (and different ssid's)

Message 2 of 11
sesty7
Guide

thanks for the repsonse!

Seeing as I would need to have a second wifi w separate SSID I am assuming it would be cheaper just to buy a singular WAP and just run the secondary wifi from that? That would give me similar features to having a Velop or Orbi system in AP only mode?

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

The C6900 isn't a mesh system. You could use a mesh extender if you'd like. 

Or you could use an access point. An access point wouldn't roam with the same efficiency as a full mesh system but most devices have their own roaming protocol built in and roam pretty decent. 

Message 4 of 11
sesty7
Guide

Got you. So the Velop even in WAP mode is still mesh between the 2-3 nodes - just a separate network 

My existing xfinity rounter/modem would still be active and service the hardwired accessories plus the main Velop Node?

They would be within like 2-3ft of each other, would that cause interferance?

thanks 

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

@sesty7 wrote:

Got you. So the Velop even in WAP mode is still mesh between the 2-3 nodes - just a separate network ---correct. 

My existing xfinity rounter/modem would still be active and service the hardwired accessories plus the main Velop Node?---if you left the C6900 in router mode, yes. 

They would be within like 2-3ft of each other, would that cause interferance?---only if you put the wireless channels on the same ones. Seperate them out and they should be fine. I use it all the time. 

thanks 

Message 6 of 11
sesty7
Guide

Please excuse my ignorance

Xfinity Gateway> ethernet to exiting accesories

Xfinity Gateway > ethernet to Velop (in bridge) 

Xfinity Gateway> ethernet to child node (also in bridge mode?) on opposit side of house

all would use the existing network and same SSID?

wont there be potential for interferance with the existing Gateway and Parent node so close to each other?

The image attached is my current set up, just looking for a way to get a higher quality interent connection to the WFH set up upstairs. I have no options to relocate the gateway.

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

@sesty7 wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance

Xfinity Gateway> ethernet to exiting accesories----by xfinity gateway you mean the C6900?

Xfinity Gateway> ethernet to child node (also in bridge mode?) on opposit side of house----not sure what this "child" node you're referring to is. 

all would use the existing network and same SSID?---the velops would be on their own ssid wireless. But wired, they'd all be on the same subnet. 

wont there be potential for interferance with the existing Gateway and Parent node so close to each other?---Not if you seperate out the wireless channels. 

The image attached is my current set up, just looking for a way to get a higher quality interent connection to the WFH set up upstairs. I have no options to relocate the gateway.

Message 8 of 11
sesty7
Guide

I was responding to the last comment saying I could have the Velop system in bridge mode keeping the same exsiting netork 

Xfinity Gateway> ethernet to exiting accesories----by xfinity gateway you mean the C6900? Correct sorry

Xfinity Gateway> ethernet to child node (also in bridge mode?) on opposit side of house----not sure what this "child" node you're referring to is.

Sorry a second Velop node

all would use the existing network and same SSID?---the velops would be on their own ssid wireless. But wired, they'd all be on the same subnet. 

wont there be potential for interferance with the existing Gateway and Parent node so close to each other?---Not if you seperate out the wireless channels. 

the previous comment suggesting having them all (c6900 and Velop) on the same SSID which i would think may cause issues. 

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

@

the previous comment suggesting having them all (c6900 and Velop) on the same SSID which i would think may cause issues. 

maybe you're talking about the comment from @HumphreysDean with the link spam/scam in it? 

You don't want the c6900 and velop to use the same ssid as the c6900 isn't a mesh network and isn't from the same manufacturer. Just seperate the 2 ssids from the c6900 and velop

Message 10 of 11
sesty7
Guide

Thanks!

The Netgear Orbi system is only a little more expensive than the Velop and the Orbi main unit has 3 Ethernet ports which I think would give me everything i need.

the C6900 in bridge mode and plug thr TV, PS4, and Orbi satelite node directly into the main Orbi. That would give me one mesh network throughout the house, and hopefully better connection upstairs with the secondary node connected to the ethernet on the otherside of the house.  

really appreciate the help. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7