× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cable connection acces point N300wnr2000v3

BrunoF
Aspirant

Cable connection acces point N300wnr2000v3

Hello, I have my N300wnr2000v3 ingesteld als accespoint. Works great. But now I want a new connection by cable ethernet. The N300 does not regonised it. I have everything cable out, power cables off and all again plug in. Does not work to. Can I make a cable connection with ethernet and the N300 is a accespoint?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
BrunoF
Aspirant

Re: Cable connection acces point N300wnr2000v3

I searched and make work of teh suggestions, nothing helped. At last I bought a new cable and problem was solved. So, never trust the cable. Try by problems a other one of new one, may gives that good result. 

I want to thank TheEther for all his help. I like it very much when people helping each other. Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Did your cable provider give you a pure modem or a combination router/modem?  If it's the former, then you need to reconfigure your WNR2000v3 back to router mode.

Message 2 of 7
BrunoF
Aspirant

The acces point is stable working in the network for internet. No problem. But I want to connect another device on internet and connect by the acces point. So, I want a extra device on internet by cable connect on the acces point.

Message 3 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. In theory, you should be able to connect a device to the LAN port of the WNR2000v3.

How do you have the WNR2000v3 wired to your main router? Through the Internet port or a LAN port?

Recently, someone discovered that the R7500 doesn't function well as an Access Point when connected to the main router via a LAN port. I'm wondering if the same limitation applies to the WNR2000v3?
Message 4 of 7
BrunoF
Aspirant

No problem, I am a dutchman and maybe my English is not very good. But I do my best!Smiley Very Happy

The Netgear accespoint is wired connect with my modem/router. This modem/router is the first in my network. From this modem/router goed a cable tot the accespoint and on the Wan-port. So we can internet wireless from the accespoint when we are in the livingroom. And ont a Lan-port I have a network cable to the device that I want on internet. This device is a sattellite box for watching TV. He can on internet more possibillities, like a guide and updates. 

Also the ethernet cable is good, than it has before connect with a Sony playstation on internet. But on that time was the ethernet cable plugged in the modem/router. But the cable is good.

Must I make a change in the software of the Netgear accespoint for connecting the ethernet cable? That is my question.Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Thank you, I understand.  In most cases, no change is needed in the Netgear Access Point for connecting a device via Ethernet cable.  

But, this may be one exception.  There is a possibility that the Netgear may not be able to properly forward IPTV traffic to your satellite box.  Go to the WAN Setup page on the WNR2000v3 and uncheck the Disable IGMP Proxying option.  Now thoroughly test the satellite box for at least 10 minutes.  Make sure the guide works and channels can be viewed.  It may appear to work at first, but Netgear has a history of not having good support for IP Multicast, so it may stop working after a few minutes.

If satellite box doesn't work, then I can think of three alternatives.  Choose only one!

1. Connect the satellite box directly to the modem/router.  This could be inconvenient because you could have two, long Ethernet cables going back to your router.  
  2. Buy a small Gigabit Ethernet switch and insert it between the router, Netgear and satellite box, like this:
    router------switch-----Netgear
                       |
                       |
                  satellite box
  3. Install DD-WRT (3rd party firmware) onto the WNR2000v3 (link).  Then follow the instructions for setting it up as an Access Point (link).  Then follow these instructions for forwarding IPTV traffic (link).  There is a risk that you could brick (i.e. ruin) your Netgear if you don't follow the installation instructions correctly.  Caveat emptor.

You should probably choose option #1 or #2.  Option #3 is very difficult.

Message 6 of 7
BrunoF
Aspirant

I searched and make work of teh suggestions, nothing helped. At last I bought a new cable and problem was solved. So, never trust the cable. Try by problems a other one of new one, may gives that good result. 

I want to thank TheEther for all his help. I like it very much when people helping each other. Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7