× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I add satellites to extend range?

DebM7680
Aspirant

Can I add satellites to extend range?

We have a Netgear Nighthawk R7500v2 router with a Netgear Nighthawk X6S Tri-band WiFi Mesh Extender (EX8000).  It's helped a lot and provide good connection on first floor and basement; however less than optimal connection on second floor.  Total sf to cover on all floors is approx. 400 sf.  Was wondering if we can add the new nighthawk mesh satellites to the second floor?  Or another mesh extender?  What is best method for seamless connectivity.  The router/extender are new within past 1-2 years so don't want to trash these and start over if I can avoid that.  

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Can I add satellites to extend range?

You only need to cover 400sqft? Thats only a 20ft x 20ft room. That's not much area. 

Is this actually what you mean? 

You can add 2nd extenders. I usually dont' recommend it though. I usually recommned getting an actual mesh system like orbi if you're needing a 2nd extender. 

But if you have to do it, try to set it up in a star configuration and not daisy chained. 

What I mean:
Star:   extender<-----------router---------->extender

Daisy chain:  router--------->extender--------->extender

Try to have the router centrally located with the extenders connected to it and not to each other. 

There can also be issues if the extenders are to close to each other and running in mesh. 

Message 2 of 4
DebM7680
Aspirant

I'm sorry, typo...I meant 4,000 sf

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

That's a fair sized home. 

You should be able to add another extender. Again, just keep in mind how you place them. try to have the router centrally located so you aren't daisy chaining. If you need to daisy chain, then I'd skip using extenders and look at triband mesh systems for their dedicated backhaul. 

An option to look at is the RBS40V. Its a triband orbi satellite with an extender mode. That way if it doesn't function how you want, you always have the option of upgrading to an orbi system. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7