× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I extend 2 separate network with the same extender?

Loccife
Aspirant

Can I extend 2 separate network with the same extender?

Hi, can I use the  AX8 Wi-Fi extender to extend 2 separate network? One on the 2.5 band and a separate on the 5?

thanks

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

yes it extends both networks. If you want them seperate so you can see each individually, just disable "one wifi"  

Thats the feature that combines the ssid into one and lets devices roam between 2.4ghz/5ghz as needed. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000044732/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-One-WiFi-Name-on-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What model do you have? AX8 isn't a model number. 

Theoretically you can. When you're using the installation assistant, it lets you choose which network to connect to and extender. 

You should be able to select different ones. Keep in mind you won't be able to set it up as a mesh device though. 

Message 2 of 4
Loccife
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for your reply. it's an EAX80-100EUS used as a single extender device. Apart from the original router (Fritz box 7530) I don't have any other devices in house.

basically I want to extend the home Wi-Fi network coming from the router on the 5GHz, and the security cameras network on the 2.4GHz.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

yes it extends both networks. If you want them seperate so you can see each individually, just disable "one wifi"  

Thats the feature that combines the ssid into one and lets devices roam between 2.4ghz/5ghz as needed. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000044732/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-One-WiFi-Name-on-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series