× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I use 2 N300 extenders on the same network?

DaleMcIn
Aspirant

Can I use 2 N300 extenders on the same network?

I think this has been asked/answered but wish to clarify.  I have a WNDR3700 router in my 'computer room' along with a N300 extender in my garage and it seems to work fine.  I would like to use a second EX2700/N300 extender in my media room that neither my router nor current extender will give good enough reception.  Can I use a second N300 extender in my media room as long as I change the SSID of this second extender? I assume the SSID name could be anything as long as it is different - am I correct there?

Thanks!

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6
TheEther
Guru

That's correct.  It is strongly recommended that each extender connect to the router's Wi-Fi network.  Do not piggy-back extenders.  The performance drop (as much as 75%) may not be acceptable.

Message 2 of 6
DaleMcIn
Aspirant

Thank you.  I'd planned to attach each to the router individually in parallel and not to each other in series. Parallel should work though, right?

Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Right
Message 4 of 6
DaleMcIn
Aspirant

Thank you.  I have an R7000 router now conected to a 2500RP extender in the media room now. It's in "Internet Surfing Mode" with both 2.4 and 5GHz bands at the same time. I tried configuring it both Fastlane Technology modes but I can't get connected devices ot see it regardless of which mode I set it to. I would have thought the mode "Device-to-extender in 2.4GHz only and extender-to-router in 5GHz only mode would give better service than the combined modes but it has trouble connecting to the router in 5GHz mode even though the R7000 router is set to broadcast in both modes.

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

5 GHz has less range than 2.4 GHz.  It's possible that the extender is too far from the R7000 to get a clean 5 GHz signal.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7