× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I use a NETGEAR mesh range extender with other brand router and still have the mesh function

Terrixy
Aspirant

Can I use a NETGEAR mesh range extender with other brand router and still have the mesh function?

Hi,

My currrent home wifi setup: an ac2600 dual-band router + powerline extenders (all from other vendors).

Problem: no mesh function, so often need to disable/enable the device wifi to connect to the nearest AP when moving around the house. And the powerline extenders do not seem to work reliably (drop out often).

I'm tempted to replace the current setup with an XRM570 set. But since the router works flawlessly, I wonder if I can simply get an EX7700 or EX8000 to complement it. I understand the extender should work with the router as a normal extender. But how about the mesh function? Or do I have to use a compatible NETGEAR router for that?

Many thanks!

Terrixy

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Can I use a NETGEAR mesh range extender with other brand router and still have the mesh function

You can use a different router and have the mesh function work. 

A couple things to keep in mind through.

1. The mesh extenders work great when you're only using 1. if you're needing more than 1, a move to a full mesh system  would be better. 

2. The isn't a controller for the system like a true mesh system. It relies on your router and device's own roaming function to work in mesh. 

so it should work with your system. its just a couple little points with how mesh extenders work

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can use a different router and have the mesh function work. 

A couple things to keep in mind through.

1. The mesh extenders work great when you're only using 1. if you're needing more than 1, a move to a full mesh system  would be better. 

2. The isn't a controller for the system like a true mesh system. It relies on your router and device's own roaming function to work in mesh. 

so it should work with your system. its just a couple little points with how mesh extenders work

Message 2 of 3
Terrixy
Aspirant

Many thanks plemans. That's very helpful. Yes, I think 1 mesh extender is enough in my case.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7