× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I use a wireless wifi extender to replace a long ethernet cable?

greyheeler
Aspirant

Can I use a wireless wifi extender to replace a long ethernet cable?

I have an Arris dual band  cable router provided by our cable service company and have a couple of ethernet-connected pcs and some wireless devices connected to it. Our typical download speeds are 30-40 Mps, exactly what we pay for. 

My laptop has a wonky wireless network adapter card in it, which I'm trying to work around rather than replace. Rather than run a 30 foot ethernet cable from my laptop to the router, could i use wireless range extender like your N300 or AC750 in the same room as my laptop, and just use a short ethernet cable between the extender and the laptop? 

Would I expect to achieve the same speeds and response as I currently get using the wireless adapter in my laptop?

thanks very much for any advice.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Sorry for the misunderstanding.. The EX6100 can be used as a range extender, or an Access Point. In Access Point mode, you would get the better performance / throughput, by using an Ethernet connection between router and EX6100. In Extender mode, you lose about 50% throughput. With any Extender you take about a 50% throughput loss because of its nature.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
netwrks
Master

What is the model number of your routers? N300 and AC750 are wireless standards, which just about every vendor makes at least one..

Message 2 of 6
greyheeler
Aspirant

It's an Arris TG1672.

Message 3 of 6
greyheeler
Aspirant

the netgear models I saw, for example, were one such as EX6100 or EX3700, or whatever would be suitable.

Message 4 of 6
netwrks
Master

Sorry for the misunderstanding.. The EX6100 can be used as a range extender, or an Access Point. In Access Point mode, you would get the better performance / throughput, by using an Ethernet connection between router and EX6100. In Extender mode, you lose about 50% throughput. With any Extender you take about a 50% throughput loss because of its nature.

Message 5 of 6
greyheeler
Aspirant

Thanks very much, that's exactly the type of information I was looking for. Sounds like I'd be better off just running a long ethernet cable to the router, or open up the laptop and replace the network adapter. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7