× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use one NETGEAR Range Extender EX8000 as AP and second one as Extender and mesh will work?

Tomalla
Follower

Can I use one NETGEAR Range Extender EX8000 as AP and second one as Extender and mesh will work?

I have a Router from my ISP which gives me WiFi for ground floor. On the first floor I want to add EX8000 connected with ISP Router by Ethernet cable as an AP. Then I want to add second EX8000 as Range Extender on my attic.

The main question is about the mesh system: will roaming work seamlessly between all three devices? 

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Can I use one NETGEAR Range Extender EX8000 as AP and second one as Extender and mesh will work?

@Tomalla wrote:

The main question is about the mesh system: will roaming work seamlessly between all three devices? 

No. when the EX8000 is hardwired in and running in access point mode, it doesn't act as a mesh node. The mesh function works when its in extender mode. You can name it with the same ssid as the router/other extender but they'll tend to be sticky. 

Unless something's changed in the firmware on the mesh extenders @DexterJB 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Can I use one NETGEAR Range Extender EX8000 as AP and second one as Extender and mesh will work?

@Tomalla wrote:

No. when the EX8000 is hardwired in and running in access point mode, it doesn't act as a mesh node. The mesh function works when its in extender mode. You can name it with the same ssid as the router/other extender but they'll tend to be sticky. 

Unless something's changed in the firmware on the mesh extenders @DexterJB 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7