× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use two Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh extenders?

RobAinscough
Aspirant

Can I use two Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh extenders?

Are there any issues with running TWO Nighthawk X4 Wifi Mesh Extenders?

If not, is the setup process the same for each extender?

Cheers, Rob.

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Coaleyed
Guide

Re: Can I use two Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh extenders?

There are no issues running multiple extenders.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
Coaleyed
Guide

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

@Coaleyed wrote:

Beg to differ. I've personally had issues and seen multiple on the forums. 

with the mesh extenders, there isn't a controller like the full mesh system like orbi. On occasion, they can end up connecting to each other and create a loop and not work properly. This doesn't happen to everyone and a lot depends on how close to each other they are. but if there are issues, you simply put one of them with its own unique ssid and this fixes the issue. but again, not all have this issue. 

Other thing to keep in mind is the standard dual band extenders will cause a loss of throughput. Because they have to transmit and recieve using the same chip and can't do both at once. So they take a 50% throughput hit right off the bat. If you're running them in daisy chain mode its even worse as the end extender has less than 25% of the speed. 

This is why I usually recommend people move to an actual mesh system like orbi if they're needing multiple extenders. Especially if they plan on daisy chaining.

Daisy chain: router----->extender------>extender

Star config:  Extender<----------router-------->extender

Message 3 of 8
RobAinscough
Aspirant

I have both of them running well, no issues so far ... I'm getting about 250-350 Mbps down and 40-50 Mbps up on each unit.  This is not as fast are hardwired Cat6 cable (which is 750-960 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up) but it is certainly acceptable for my needs around the house. 

The units are kinda pricey at $150 each but does allow me to avoid running Cat6 cable all over the house.  However, it should be noted that Cat6 installations in a home range from $90-$120 per room (includes parts) ... so Netgear pricing at $150 may not be the cost effective approach for some.

I had also tried the Netgear Powerline 2000 units using our home's power outlet wires for data transmission, but they were only able to do about 77Mbps down and 41 Mbps up.

We have 1Gbps service (Xfinity).

Cheers, Rob.

Message 4 of 8
RobAinscough
Aspirant

Hmmm ... looks like I spoke too soon.  I ran a speedtest today because my internet seemed "slow" and I got 30 Mbps down and 41 Mbps up ... this is NOT good.

So I thought perhaps it was because of having two X4's, so I turned one off, still the same problem?

So I got my laptop and hooked it up directly into my ISP hardwire router's port via NIC and got 700Mbps down 43 Mbps up.  So I know it's not an ISP issue, nor speed test location (San Jose CA).

So I unplugged the 4X's and went back to using Powerline 2000 and was getting about 70-80Mbps.

I'm probably going to return these 4X's as they seemed to have issues unless someone has other recommendations?  FYI, not related to have two 4X's since I get the same problem with just one 4X.

Cheers, Rob.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

@RobAinscough wrote:

Hmmm ... looks like I spoke too soon.  I ran a speedtest today because my internet seemed "slow" and I got 30 Mbps down and 41 Mbps up ... this is NOT good.

So I thought perhaps it was because of having two X4's, so I turned one off, still the same problem?

So I got my laptop and hooked it up directly into my ISP hardwire router's port via NIC and got 700Mbps down 43 Mbps up.  So I know it's not an ISP issue, nor speed test location (San Jose CA).----hardwired is always going to give you faster speeds. Its the nature of how hardwired works versus wireless. And since the extenders run off the router, they're dependant on the router performing.

So I unplugged the 4X's and went back to using Powerline 2000 and was getting about 70-80Mbps.

I'm probably going to return these 4X's as they seemed to have issues unless someone has other recommendations?  FYI, not related to have two 4X's since I get the same problem with just one 4X.

Cheers, Rob.

Did you try swapping the 2 extenders? Meaning you did power one down to try it but it you switch the 2 devices? If 1 device is having an issue, then its easy to start troubleshooting that device. but if both are having the same issue, then I look back at what they're connecting to. Which would be your isp's router. And testing a router hardwired isn't the same as testing it wireless. Plus the router's qos could be slowing the speed. 

Message 6 of 8
RobAinscough
Aspirant

I tried switching them, with just one active, got the same results.

I understand hardwire will always be faster, I ran the test just to make sure it wasn't an ISP issue and I was getting good speed into my home.  

Here is what I don't understand ... I used my Laptop's "wireless" (located about 5 ft away from the Nighthawk X4 living room unit) and ran the same speed test and got 497 Mbps down and 40 Mbps up ... the "client' light (on the Nighthawk X4) went ON (green) when my laptop connected for the speed test.

BUT, my PC when connected to a Linksys switch via hardwire and then the Linksys switch hardwire ethernet cable into the Nighthawk X4 and the same speed test on my PC resulted in 120 Mbps down and 40 Mbps up.  Oddly it's faster today on the Nighthawk X4 but I still don't understand why the laptop connecting wireless to the Nighthawk X4 is 497 Mbps?

Puzzled, is there some sort of performance penalty for using the Ethernet port on the Nighthawk X4?

Cheers, Rob.

Message 7 of 8
Coaleyed
Guide

You need to look at your wireless signal, not the internet speeds.  Your throttle will come from that.  If you are sitting at lets say 466.7Mbps, your internet isn't being degraded by the WiFi.  I'd start channel surfing on the wireless signal to see if you get better results.  Usually you will get Auto for 2.4 and 44 for 5.0.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7