× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can a Nighthawk R7000 or MR6500 be used as the base router in a seamless mesh system

Rockman
Aspirant

Can a Nighthawk R7000 or MR6500 be used as the base router in a seamless mesh system

Hi,

AT&T offers two Nighthawk hotspots, the M6(R7000) and the M6 Pro(MR6500).  The mesh wifi systems I have looked at all seem to include their own router and don't recommend using it downstream of another wifi router.  Can I easily make the hotspots the base router in a mesh system and will it work well?

I'm in rural area and internet service is slow but cell service is strong 4G thus changing to a hotspot seems like a good plan.  But I'm not too familiar with all the technical aspects of mesh wifi. The house is large and I use traditional wifi repeaters now. 

I'm open to suggestions on how to best set up a hotspot based mesh wifi system.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Can a Nighthawk R7000 or MR6500 be used as the base router in a seamless mesh system

You can't use them as the base router as they're not mesh devices. 

But you can use a mesh system and use the hotspot as the gateway. 

You'd simply put the hotspot in passthrough mode and have the mesh system connected to it. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Can a Nighthawk R7000 or MR6500 be used as the base router in a seamless mesh system

You can't use them as the base router as they're not mesh devices. 

But you can use a mesh system and use the hotspot as the gateway. 

You'd simply put the hotspot in passthrough mode and have the mesh system connected to it. 

Message 2 of 3
Rockman
Aspirant

Thank you for that information; I'm not up to speed on the latest technologies.

_D

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7