× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't Access first (of two) EX2700 Range Extenders to rename

iccohen
Follower

Can't Access first (of two) EX2700 Range Extenders to rename

Hello-

I have two EX2700 range extenders. One of them (the newer one) I renamed so it has the same SSID as the router. I wanted to rename the second extender (the first one I bought) to also have the same SSID as the router, but can't access it through the Netgear UI, as only the second one shows up (however, I am able to see it usingt Wifi Analyzer, and I know it works ).

While going through questions, a "Super User" noted that "...Both extenders should not broadcast the same SSID as the main router.  This is the default setting but many people often set up an extender to broadcast the same SSID to avoid programming devices with two separate SSIDs.  You won't be able to do this with two extenders because there is a risk of them connecting to each other instead of the main router.  This restriction doesn't apply if you are able to wire the extenders to the main router via Ethernet (or Powerline)...."

Does this mean I shouldn't bother trying to rename the other extender? I thought that if the router and extenders all have the same SSID then they would seamlessly switch to the strongest signal?

Thanks,

-Steve

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Can't Access first (of two) EX2700 Range Extenders to rename

You just need the Ip address of the second extender and then use that IP in your web browser should get you to the settings.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7