× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't Connect to NetGear WiFi Extender Dashboard

randykepple
Aspirant

Can't Connect to NetGear WiFi Extender Dashboard

My main router is a Netgear CM500 and I'm using a Netgear EX2700 Extender. The issue I'm having is with the extender. In the past, I've been able to log into the dashboard to check firmware, logs, settings, etc. For the life of me, I can't access the extender anymore and have given up. I am hoping someone can help me figure it out. Honestly, I'm comfortable with all things tech, but this is unnecessarily difficult and finicky with connections. I'm about ready to take a hammer to it for mental therapy and buy a new extender (different brand this time) unless Netgear can make this work. 

I'm on a Mac computer and have attempted this with Chrome and Safari web browsers. I made sure I was connected to the extender network and not the main Netgear network. I power-cycled the modem and the extender. I also restarted my computer and made sure it was connected to the extender network. I also went into my network advanced settings and renewed the DHCP Lease and restarted my computer. Nothing. 

According to the manufacturers instructions, you simply point your browser to (my wifi ext .net) and when I do that, I see a webpage with information on it for Windows/Mac, etc. and it instructs me to go to (my wifi ext .local).

*This forum does not allow me to include the url link to mywifiext, so hopefully you understand the paragraph above.

The request times out every single time and it simply won't connect. Doesn't matter what I do, it won't connect. Please advise!

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX2700/EX2700_UM_EN.pdf

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

If you log into the apple airport and look up the ip address for the extender, can you use that to connect to it? 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The cm500 isn't a router. its a modem. 

Do you have a router? 

You connect the EX2700 to a router. 

Have you tried going through setup while hardiwred into the extender and not connecting via wifi? 

Message 2 of 5
randykepple
Aspirant

Thank you for correcting that mistake! You are correct. The CM-500 is a modem. I do have an Apple Airport Base Station setup as my router. The EX-2700 is the extender and it works fine, but I can no longer log into the dashboard via web browser to update firmware, change settings, etc. It's set up and I'm hesitant to go through the setup process, or reset to factory defaults in fear of losing an entire day fighting with something that should work. All of that aside, I'm open to troubleshooting methods. 

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

If you log into the apple airport and look up the ip address for the extender, can you use that to connect to it? 

Message 4 of 5
randykepple
Aspirant

Thank you! Brilliant and easy solution! Never would have thought to use the AirPort Utility to log into the base station and grab the IP address for the Netgear extender! By using that IP address, I was able to log in immediately and confirm the firmware needs to be updated, and gain access to the settings. 

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7