× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't Connect to my N300 Range Extender

Sander92
Tutor

Can't Connect to my N300 Range Extender

Hi guys,

I purchased an N300 EX2700 WiFi Range Extender yesterday, plugged it all in, did the set up and everything was fine, everything connected. I went out today then came back and noticed I wasn't getting a wifi connection on my iPhone and iPad. Looked at the connection status list on both the devices and they weren't connected. All the lights on the N300 are green, the name of the network shows up under the list of networks in the area but It won't connect. I've tried resetting the device but still no joy. Tried for ages to get on mywifiext but it kept coming up with a screen saying "Oops, looks like you've been redirected", when I eventually got onto it by plugging my PC into the N300s ethernet port it said the device was connected and every light is green then it disconnected me and I haven't been able to get on it since. Can anyone help because it's really frustrating me now! :mad:

Thanks.

Message 1 of 13
Sander92
Tutor

Just to add, my iPhone and iPad can connect every now and then although my Xbox One can't connect at all anymore. Keeps saying "Cannot connect to your DHCP server". It was connecting fine before though.
Message 2 of 13
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It could be that the extender is losing contact with the base router. Is there a good signal from the base router at the location where you have placed the extender?
Message 3 of 13
Sander92
Tutor

Babylon5 wrote:
It could be that the extender is losing contact with the base router. Is there a good signal from the base router at the location where you have placed the extender?

The Router light is green and the extender is only placed down the hallway from the router.
Message 4 of 13
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you log into the extender does it show a good connection to the base router? What manufacturer and model number is the base router? Are you using a Wireless Access List at all?
Message 5 of 13
Sander92
Tutor

Babylon5 wrote:
If you log into the extender does it show a good connection to the base router? What manufacturer and model number is the base router? Are you using a Wireless Access List at all?

When you say log in, do you mean through mywifiext? If so it won't let me log in. Keeps saying "oops looks like you've been redirected".

The base router is a BT home hub 4. And I'm not sure what a wireless access list is sorry.
Message 6 of 13
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 'oops' message usually means that you are not actually connected wirelessly to the extender, but instead you are connected to the router. Can you connect to it with an Ethernet cable?
Message 7 of 13
Sander92
Tutor

Babylon5 wrote:
The 'oops' message usually means that you are not actually connected wirelessly to the extender, but instead you are connected to the router. Can you connect to it with an Ethernet cable?

I've managed to log into the mywifiext site but I'm not sure how to check whether I have a good connection to the router?

Under 'STATUS' I get these readings:

Status
Hardware Version EX2700
Firmware Version V1.0.0.22
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.27
Connection Status to Existing Network
Operating Mode Extender
Name (SSID) BTHub5-MFQJ
Connection Status Connected
Link Rate 130Mbps

Extender IP Info
MAC Address A0:63:91:7F:AC:13
IP Address 192.168.1.81
DHCP Client ON
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway IP Address 192.168.1.254
Domain Name Server 192.168.1.254
Extender Wireless Setting
Name (SSID) BTHub5-MFQJ_EXT
Region Europe
Channel 1
Wireless AP ON
Broadcast Name ON
Wi-Fi Protected Setup
Message 8 of 13
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sander92 wrote:
Connection Status to Existing Network
Operating Mode Extender
Name (SSID) BTHub5-MFQJ
Connection Status Connected
Link Rate 130Mbps

I can't say that that's the best you could achieve, but it looks like a perfectly good connection to me.

If the extender does fail to connect for any reason, and your computer connects to the base router, then that's the situation where you would see that 'Oops' message. In the situation above the computer was connected to the extender and so you were able to access its admin pages.
Message 9 of 13
Sartis
Aspirant

I have a similar problem.

I've set the extender up according to instructions and all lights are green.

With the extender in the same room as the router, I can't link to the extender by wifi.

The extender name pops up on my list of wifi options but won't link with iphone or ipads. It just keeps trying to link continuously but never gets there.

Is the extender faulty?

Alan

Message 10 of 13
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Sartis,

Are you also using the EX2700 Range Extender?

Which router are you using with it?

Is the extender plugged into the wall and connected to the router via an ethernet cord? or is the extender just plugged into the wall with no ethernet cord connection?

Have you completed the setup procedure via WPS or web browser?

See page 5 of 20:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX2700/EX2700_QSG_booklet_30July2015.pdf

Try resetting your Range Extender back to factory defaults and complete the steps mentioned above.

This process erases any settings that you configured in the extender.

1. Insert a paper clip into theFactory Resethole and hold it until the Power LED blinksamber.
  2. Release the button.
  3. All the LEDs turn off for about 3 seconds.
  4. The Power LED lights solid amber for about 30 seconds.
  5. The Power LED lights solid green.
  6. The extender returns to its factory settings
Message 11 of 13
Sartis
Aspirant

Hi nhann.
I tried all those things a number of times and it still didn't work.
I then downloaded the latest ios update and then reset as above abd it worked.
All good now.
Thanks
Message 12 of 13
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Good to hear you have it working now.

Thanks for letting us know!

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo