× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect to EX3700 AC750. It wants a code different from my router code

dgundling
Aspirant

Can't connect to EX3700 AC750. It wants a code different from my router code

Been trying for over two months now to connect to the range extender. I can see the extended 2GHz and 5GHz networks but can't connect to them. I can connect the target computer to the basic router network but not to either the _2GEXT or _5GEXT network. When asked for the code I have tried both the router code and the extender code and neither works. At the moment my extender is showing  all green lights save that for the device light. BTW I posted a request for instructions on downloading the user manual but the instructions I received in the reply do nt work for me. My 2 questions are how to connect and how to download.

Model: EX3700|N600 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't connect to EX3700 AC750. It wants a code different from my router code

@dgundling wrote:

BTW I posted a request for instructions on downloading the user manual but the instructions I received in the reply do nt work for me.

Where did those instructions go wrong?

FWIW, you didn't post the extender model in that request, so I had to give generic instructions.  The direct manual downlink for your model is http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX3700/EX3700_UM_EN.pdf   The support page is https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX3700.aspx

@dgundling wrote:

When asked for the code I have tried both the router code and the extender code and neither works. 

I'm not sure if you mean the WPS PIN or the wifi network password.  If you used WPS when setting up the extender, then the router and the extender are using the same password.  So try entering that password instead of using WPS.

If that isn't working, then reset the extender (instructions are in the manual).  Don't press WPS, instead join the NETGEAR_EXT network, which is open.  Then browse to www.mywifiext.net, and follow the instructions on page 11 in the manual (Connect with Web Browser Setup)

@dgundling wrote:

Been trying for over two months now to connect to the range extender. 

You have three months of courtesy phone support via my.netgear.com.  If you purchased within the last three months, then you could use that.

Message 2 of 5
dgundling
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect to EX3700 AC750. It wants a code different from my router code

Progress has been made. I finally was able to download the user manual.

Next problem. The computer keeps asking for a password and an ssid. I thought the SSID was the router ssid. I have no idea what password it is looking for. Where do I find and create these two items?

When I try to connect using the WPS process, I am asked for password. What password is that?

In the web browser set up the first step is find and connect to the extended network. If I can't connect, how do I do that? 

Message 3 of 5
dgundling
Aspirant

I used netgear 90 day purchase support but had conflicts that kept me from staying with it to a solution. For me, neither the quick start guide or the user manual, which I just managed to download today, have provided a solution. Have gone through the set up process at least a half dozen times using a mix of wps and browser set up attempts. Sometmies I used wps and other times I tried the browser approach. I can get as far as having the range extender generate the extended networks but I have been unable to connect to those networks. Although the signal is weak I am able to connect to the networks generated by the router every now and then.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

SSID:  The technical term for the "network name".

Password(s):  I'm sticking with the "no WPS" setup here.

There is no password needed to join NETGEAR_EXT. 

When you browse to www.mywifiext.net, you first create a password for it's administrative account.  You need that password in to change the configuration later. You don't use this password to use the extender wifi, you only need it when you browse to www.mywifiext.net (after initial setup).

After that, you select the router network(s) , and you need to enter the router's wifi password(s) in order to connect to the router wifi.  Do you know that password?  I'm guessing that you might not, since you seem to be using WPS all the time.  You do need to know it, and your router web ui should show you what it is.

After you are connected to the router, the setup lets you create network names for the extender wifi (normally with _2GEXT and _5GEXT suffixes).  You generally use the same password(s) as the router WiFi, but you can set them differently if you wish.

Also, you should check the WiFi security protocol used by your router.  It should be set to WPA2_PSK[AES].  If you aren't certain what the security mode means, then you can post what you are seeing in the router here.  

@dgundling wrote:

Although the signal is weak I am able to connect to the networks generated by the router every now and then.

This suggests that you are putting the extender in the wrong place.  It needs to be placed in between the router and the dead spot. That's because it needs a solid connection to the router, and also a solid connection to the devices in the dead spot.

If your client's can't reliably connect to the router from the extender's location, then the extender is too far from the router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7