× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect to router (even after reset)

Peachy1952
Follower

Can't connect to router (even after reset)

I just looked through "similar" discussions, but they are so technical, I just can't follow them. Besides the EX6150 is advertised as being SIMPLE to set up. So, here's my situation: My router and computer are about 4 yards from each other--in different rooms, but with the door open. I also have an HP wireless printer that's another 4 yards away beyond the computer. I tried setting up the extender from an outlet that's about a yard away from my computer. I say all this to make clear all the components here are very close to each other.

Background: I've had no problems connecting my computer to the router or the printer to the router. And, in fact, the router reaches a fairly far away room on the same level where the smart T.V. is located. However, if one goes the other direction in the house, the signal dies out, perhaps because the walls are thicker. So, I bought this extender, hoping to solve the problem.

Following the directions, I plugged in the extender and turned it on. The extender switch is in the "up" position. I push the WPS button and sometimes the WPS LED starts blinking and sometimes, after a while, it starts blinking must faster. I push the WPS button on my Verizon Fios router. It starts blinking. This is all I'm instructed to do. However, neither the Client Link LED, nor the Router Link LED ever go on.

I've done this routine a number of times and get the same result. Nothing. Am I missing something here? Should I try something else?

Should I swap out everything for an Orbi? Do I need to get a Fios technician in to do this for me inasmuch as I'm not a technical guy at all?

Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't connect to router (even after reset)

@Peachy1952 wrote:

Should I swap out everything for an Orbi?

Orbi is an excellent integrated wifi system, though of course it is a lot more expensive than the EX6150. If you you are using FiOS TV, you do need to keep using your Verizon router.  But you can turn off it's wifi, and set up Orbi as an "access point" instead of a router. 

You still might find you need help setting it up properly though.

@Peachy1952 wrote:

Do I need to get a Fios technician in to do this for me inasmuch as I'm not a technical guy at all?

I don't think Verizon will help you with this.  You could perhaps get someone else - geek squad perhaps???

@Peachy1952 wrote:

Following the directions, I plugged in the extender and turned it on. The extender switch is in the "up" position. I push the WPS button and sometimes the WPS LED starts blinking and sometimes, after a while, it starts blinking must faster. I push the WPS button on my Verizon Fios router. It starts blinking. This is all I'm instructed to do. However, neither the Client Link LED, nor the Router Link LED ever go on.

The user manual is here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX6150v2/EX6150v2_UM_EN.pdf

Try resetting the extender again (inserting a paper clip into the small reset hole until the power light turns amber).

Then follow the procedure "Connect With the NETGEAR Installation Assistant" on page 10.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7