× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't get ip address

dmilinevskyi
Aspirant

Can't get ip address

My problem is very similar to another issue when a client can't reconnect to the network

I don't consider static ip assignment is a solution.

I have to reboot the repeater a couple of times a day because some of my devices can't properly get ip address from DHCP server.

There are no issue with signal strength, it's really good :+1:!

I don't use fast lane, the extender is connected to the router using 5GHz chanel only (although both 2.5GHz and 5GHz are used for "repeating"). Extender is running latest FW (although I've had similar issues before FW upgrade for spectre/meltdown issues). I don't use same SSID for router and extender but I use same SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels. Access scheduler is not enabled.

I didn't find where I can do a diagnostic report though.

Let me know if I can help somehow to debug the issue. Honestly it's quite annoying as to disconnect other members of my family if one of them is having troubles connecting to the network.

Model: EX7500|AC3000 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @dmilinevskyi,

This may occur if your extender is not getting better connection from your router. Since your extender is connected only to 5GHz of your router, please change 5GHz channel on router to see if that resolve your issue.

Message 2 of 7
dmilinevskyi
Aspirant

Thanks @jvasanth1984

Good point!

Previously I've been using automatic channel selection on the router side but it caused problems as repeater didn't catch up if router decided to swap the channel.

So I've hardcoded it to 36. I've changed it to 52. Unfortunatelly I can't change the channel on the extender (I don't really understand why this options is not available).

I'll post an update after I finish my experiments (a couple of days to ensure that the "fix" is stable).

Message 3 of 7
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @dmilinevskyi,

Extender will not have its individual channel since it is extending router's signal because of which you'll not have an option on extender to modify wireless channel on extender.

Message 4 of 7
dmilinevskyi
Aspirant

Hi,

it didn't help to have different channels.

When I disallowed devices to attach to both APs (to avoid handover) the issue seems to disappear.

BTW I don't understand why repeater can't have a different channel.

Obviously it does more than just ampliphying the signal (it changes the SSID for instance).

I don't know the internals of the implementation but from my point of view there's a SW/HW L1 bridge between the repeater's wifi Client and AP.

And that's likely causing the issue.

Message 5 of 7
dmilinevskyi
Aspirant

So even with such isolation (avoiding wifi handover between the AP and the Externder) didn't help.

The devices can't get IP address or already connected devices don't have internet access.

Only extender reboot helps.

What else could be done to diagnose this?

Thank you!

Message 6 of 7
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @dmilinevskyi,

Try to perform reset and reconfigure the extender and let me know if you still come across this issue.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7