× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't login to the EX8000 admin page

cappy2112
Guide

Can't login to the EX8000 admin page

I've got an R8000 as the main router, but it isn't in the ideal location for the best signal coverage.

I've bought an EX8000 that would hopefully help with the weak wifi coverage,but when I set it up as an Extender, I was only getting 60Mb download speeds (with 600Mb being the max my service is rated for).

Instead of using it as an extender, I've decided to use it as an access point, since there is an ethernet line going to the R8000.

This works, and I get very high download speeds if I connect my devices to the EX8000 instead of the R8000.

Now that it is up and running, I cannot log into the admin page for the Ex8000.

I'm not referring to forgetting my login name/password, when I connect to the EX8000 it always brings me to the "NEW EXTENDER SETUP" page.

See screenshot.

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 7.36.12 PM.png

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

Thanks

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 17
cappy2112
Guide

Re: Can't login to the EX8000 admin page

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 7.36.12 PM.png

Message 2 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you walk thru this setup wizard and still configure AP mode on the EX? 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the WiFi Extender products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with WiFi Extender products. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/bd-p/home-wifi-range-extenders

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 3 of 17
cappy2112
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you walk thru this setup wizard and still configure AP mode on the EX

I've already done that in order to get the AP configured for my network.

Acutally I've done it twice and still end up in the same place.

I'll try your links if I don't get a solution here.

Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure FW is updated on the EX. Connect to the EXs IP address as well given by the host router. 

Message 5 of 17
Keagan21
Aspirant

Push and hold the Factory Settings button (located on the side panel) for 7 seconds. Your range extender resets. Open your computer or mobile device's WiFi menu and connect to the extender's default WiFi network, NETGEAR_EXT.

www.myindigocard.com

Message 6 of 17
cappy2112
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Be sure FW is updated on the EX. Connect to the EXs IP address as well given by the host router. 

I've already checked the FW update, none was avaiable, which is surprising for netgear.

I HAVE checked the IP address, that is what takes me to the "NEW EXTENDER SETUP" screen.

Thanks

Message 7 of 17
cappy2112
Guide

@Keagan21 wrote:

Push and hold the Factory Settings button (located on the side panel) for 7 seconds. Your range extender resets. Open your computer or mobile device's WiFi menu and connect to the extender's default WiFi network, NETGEAR_EXT.

www.myindigocard.com

I started this whole process by resetting to factory defaults, then went through the Extender setup (3 times). It did not improve

my wifi speed. Reset to factory, then setup as AP, which works ok, except that I can't get to the admin page.

Message 8 of 17
plemans
Guru

did you run through the access point setup? 

Because the page you're on is the starting page for new setups. 

If it was setup prior, did you factory reset it before connecting it? 

Here's a video of how to set it up in access point mode. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txCVRw3rkbU

Message 9 of 17
cappy2112
Guide

My EX8000 is now running as an AP. I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't work well as a mesh extender. The reviews I read made it look like the hottest extender out there.

I had gotten confused at the "NEW SETUP" screen.

All is good. Thanks everyone!

Message 10 of 17
plemans
Guru

Extender mode and access point mode are 2 different modes. 

1 allows the use of smart roaming protocols because it works as a mesh devices. 

The other it funcitons as an independent device as an access point. 

Not always simple but access point mode tends to be much faster and have the 3rd band freed up for usage. 

Message 11 of 17

@plemans wrote:

In other words, in AP mode, the EX8000 cannot use the LAN as "wired backhaul". (Some Orbi satellites can do this.) This means that the wired satellites can join the Mesh party on your network.

Message 12 of 17
cappy2112
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote:

@plemans wrote:

In other words, in AP mode, the EX8000 cannot use the LAN as "wired backhaul". 

Are you sure about that?

In Extender Mode, the wired backhaul doesn't work, in AP mode the wired connection to the main router is working fine. Without that ethernet connection to the main router, the AP will not work.

Message 13 of 17

@cappy2112 wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

@plemans wrote:

In other words, in AP mode, the EX8000 cannot use the LAN as "wired backhaul". 

Are you sure about that?

In Extender Mode, the wired backhaul doesn't work, in AP mode the wired connection to the main router is working fine. Without that ethernet connection to the main router, the AP will not work.

Wired backhaul has a specific meaning. It relates to the Mesh wifi technology and communication between the satellite and the router. From the manuals, your R8000 doesn't support Mesh devices.

You can certainly wire the EX8000 to the R8000 as an access point. That isn't Mesh.

Mesh was added to the EX8000 after the initial release. It uses wireless backhaul with devices that cooperate.

Message 14 of 17
cappy2112
Guide

Right. I did mention that I’m using the ex8000as an AP because it jus wasn’t performing well as an ecternder.
Message 15 of 17

@cappy2112 wrote:
Right. I did mention that I’m using the ex8000as an AP because it jus wasn’t performing well as an ecternder.

Yes, which means that it will not work as a Mesh satellite.

So what problem do you now have?

I'm a bit lost. Earlier you said:

All is good. Thanks everyone!

The rest has been trying to explain to you why the EX8000 won't be a Mesh satellite behind an R8000.

Message 16 of 17
cappy2112
Guide

None.

Setting it up it in AP mode and connecting it to the main router via ethernet is the only way I could get it to work.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7