× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can the AX1750 Range extender be used in Bridge only mode?

rhony2
Aspirant

Can the AX1750 Range extender be used in Bridge only mode?

I don't need range extension, but I do prefer to limit the number of wireless signals bouncing around my house so I like to use bridges whenever I have a cluster of devices in one location.  I am in the process of moving from AC to AX (Wifi 6) and my current system has an AC router with 3 AC bridges which I need to replace with AX versions.  

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

That's tough to say. 

You could post in the Orbi AX forum about compatible extenders and how well they perfrom. I know @FURRYe38 has the AX system and probably a few extenders sitting around that might have been tried. 

If you're not needing anything fancy for the extra device a standard extender (or even one of your dlink bridges) might work for the time being. Again, I say *might* because I don't have the system and haven't tested anything with it. 

I've used several different gigabit switches with my orbi ac devices and haven't had any issues. 

Same with my Arris W31 AX11000 that I have. 

Although some have reported issues with the green switches. I've got a couple and it hasn't been a problem. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You realize that your "bridges" have to send and recieve signals as well? And its not directed right at the router but in a omnidirectional pattern? 

So whether they extend a signal or not, the signal is still broadcasting and covering your home.

If you're in the process of switching over, I'd actually check into the mesh systems like orbi. 

Message 2 of 9
rhony2
Aspirant

Thanks but the Orbi is really expensive.  Costco has the Orbi RBK843S for $850 and that is only the router and 2 satellites and I need 3.  I can get the Nighthawk AX4300 plus 3 AX1750 for $450.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

I usually advise people that if you're needing more than 1 extender, you're better off spending the money for the full mesh systems. 

They're designed to operate together and as a whole. This allows them to roam better, switch between daisy chain/star configurations, allow both wired and wireless backhaul, and they expand better.

This allows them to be more stable, faster, and just much less headache. 

You can try to piece together a system but if you have stability issues, you know what the cause is. And fixing them can mean disabling the mesh part of it. 

Message 4 of 9
rhony2
Aspirant

Thanks for the warning but this would be the third system I have had with multiple bridges.  I set up a wireless N system in 2009 with 3 bridges and then upgraded to an AC system in 2015 with 3 bridges.  Both of those were D-Link systems as D-Link was the only manufacturer that I found in 2009 that had wireless bridges with 4 ethernet ports.  Prior to that I had a Netgear system for my wireless G router and before that I had a Dell wireless B system which I think was actually a Cisco (Linksys).  The earlier D-Link devices had settings where I could set it in either extender or bridge mode which is why I posted the question before.  When I was getting prepared to look for the upgrade to AX I could not find D-Link anymore and then I found out that they had been sued by the FCC so that is when I decided to go back to Netgear, especially now that everyone is making extenders and I had a prior good experience with Netgear.  I had few instability issues with my prior systems but I think the reason might be that I always tried to buy from the same manufacturer.  I actually had more instability issues with just a single wireless router and lots of wireless devices, but when I reduced the number of wireless signals bouncing around my house by clustering the devices in a single room with a bridge with 4 ethernet connections, the instability mostly disappeared.  Currently each room has a smart TV, micro computer, and two gaming consoles - hence the need for 4 ethernet connections.

There is a cheaper Orbi system that goes on sale at Costco tomorrow for $400 for the router and 2 satellites, but the problem with the cheaper Orbi system is that the satellites only have 2 ethernet ports and the router 3.  I need 4 ports in each device.  My brother-in-law does have the more expensive Orbi in his home but as a programmer he has worked from home even before the pandemic so that is a business expense. 

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Which orbi are you looking at? I usually recommend the tribands. 

Even if they have only 2 ports, they make cheap 5-8 port gigabit switches that you can expand the ports with. 

Message 6 of 9
rhony2
Aspirant

Orbi RX753S.  It is a triband.  Since I need a 3rd satellite and this only comes with 2, should I buy a separate Orbi satellite (which run at least $200 from what I can see) or will an AX1750 work with it?  Actually, back in 2009 before I setup my wireless-N D-Link router and 3 wireless bridges, I tried another single cheaper single port bridge with a cheap gigabit switch.  That did not work so well.  Dunno if that was due to the fact that neither the single port bridge or switches were D-Link (they were both no-names whose combined cost was less than $100) or that the technology for home use was relatively new (the first time I heard of wireless N was in 2009).  I think I still have the switch though.

While the Costco sale lasts through mid-June, I have a 50 off 500 coupon from them which expires at the end of the week so I need to decide pretty soon what I am going to do.  Else I will wait for Black Friday sales and hope there are deeper discounts on the Orbi systems (my brother-in-law told me he bought his system from a Costco BF sale).  If I get this cheaper Orbi and an AX1750 that would nearly meet the $500 threshold for the coupon.  Costco does not sell satellites separately but I think I should be able to get one from Amazon or Newegg.

My normal schedule for wireless upgrades would normally be the end of this year but one of my D-Link wireless AC bridges is showing signs of failure (well it is nearly 6 years old) and with the Costco sale and coupon it got me thinking to start a little earlier this year.

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

That's tough to say. 

You could post in the Orbi AX forum about compatible extenders and how well they perfrom. I know @FURRYe38 has the AX system and probably a few extenders sitting around that might have been tried. 

If you're not needing anything fancy for the extra device a standard extender (or even one of your dlink bridges) might work for the time being. Again, I say *might* because I don't have the system and haven't tested anything with it. 

I've used several different gigabit switches with my orbi ac devices and haven't had any issues. 

Same with my Arris W31 AX11000 that I have. 

Although some have reported issues with the green switches. I've got a couple and it hasn't been a problem. 

Message 8 of 9
rhony2
Aspirant

Ok, thanks.  I try to avoid any "green" tech device since I used a WD green drive on my Asus home server back in 2009.  Crashed my system as it failed.  WD even recommended the green drives for home servers at the time.  This is before they created their purple line meant for servers.

OK, on your recommendation, I will order the cheaper Orbi with 2 satellites.  I will also order an AX1750 since its supposed to work with "ANY" router and its advertised as a MESH device.  I will also look to get a couple of cheap Netgear switches, but not green ones - I tried a green switch once and it did not work well - kept turning off and it took its sweet time to turn back on to full functionality.  Of course it was a no-name so I doubt the tech was up to snuff.  And push come to shove I can still use my AC bridges.  

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7