× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can the WN2500RP be used as a simple access point?

Marcel69
Initiate

Can the WN2500RP be used as a simple access point?

Dear all,

I have a modem/router (Ubee from cable provider Ziggo in the Netherlands) which has a crappy wifi. I have disabled the Ubee's wifi and instead connected a Netgear WNDR4500 router and use it's wifi capabilities. Advantage is that the Netgear is double band whereas the Ubee is either 2.4 or 5 GHz, but not both at the same time. All this hardware is at basement level.

From the Ubee runs an CAT6 cable to the first floor enabling to connect a different device. I have a WN2500RP range extender, however would like to use it only as a regular access point. That is, I would like to connect one of the four LAN ports to the CAT cable coming from the Ubee and then use it for transmitting double band wifi signals on this first floor (the wifi signal coming from the WNDR4500 is too weak). But when using the range extender as an extender, be definition the wifi speeds will be half of those of the WNDR4500 as the extender has to receive as well as transmit. Hence, my idea of connecting it to a CAT wire and subsequently using it only for transmitting (faster) wifi.

So, question is whether the WN2500RP can be used in such a mode?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marcel
Message 1 of 4
Marcel69
Initiate

Re: Can the WN2500RP be used as a simple access point?

Hi again,

Overlooked something important; below is a quote from the device's manual:

CAUTION:
Do not use an Ethernet cable to connect the extender to a router. If you do so, the extender does not work because it is designed to use only a wireless connection to the router.
UNQUOTE

What I wanted is impossible.

Sorry for bothering,
Marcel
Message 2 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Correct

You need access point device or use router as an access point and NOT extender 🙂
Message 3 of 4
AltecBX
Guide

I too have the same problem with the WN2500. I have the whole house networked with Cat5e cables in walls. I have my modem/router in the first floor. The WN2500 is to far away to act as an extender. I want to connect the WN2500 hardwire on the 3rd FL to act as an AP. Anyway to do this by changing firmware or settings?
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7