× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can you use 2 wifi extenders at the same time?

knguyen555
Follower

Can you use 2 wifi extenders at the same time?

Can you use multiple wifi extenders?

Hello there, I just purchased a Wi-Fi extender 7000 and it works great downstairs but the signal is weak upstairs. My question is if I bought another wifi extender the same one EX7000 can i use both of them at the same time or will having the same network extension make it conflict? Thank you in advance.

Editors Note:

Solved: Yes you can use 2 extenders at the same time, with some caveats - read on for more details. You may also consider a WiFi 6 Range Extender or a WiFi Mesh System such as Orbi for stronger signals and more WiFi range and flexibility.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 35

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Yes, you can use 2 extenders with a few caveats.

1. Do not wirelessly connect one extender to another.  Performance for the second extender will usually be unsatisfactory.  Therefore, each extender should connect to the main router.
  2. Both extenders should not broadcast the same SSID as the main router.  This is the default setting but many people often set up an extender to broadcast the same SSID to avoid programming devices with two separate SSIDs.  You won't be able to do this with two extenders because there is a risk of them connecting to each other instead of the main router.  This restriction doesn't apply if you are able to wire the extenders to the main router via Ethernet (or Powerline).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 35

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Yes, you can use 2 extenders with a few caveats.

1. Do not wirelessly connect one extender to another.  Performance for the second extender will usually be unsatisfactory.  Therefore, each extender should connect to the main router.
  2. Both extenders should not broadcast the same SSID as the main router.  This is the default setting but many people often set up an extender to broadcast the same SSID to avoid programming devices with two separate SSIDs.  You won't be able to do this with two extenders because there is a risk of them connecting to each other instead of the main router.  This restriction doesn't apply if you are able to wire the extenders to the main router via Ethernet (or Powerline).
Message 2 of 35
Alaind
Initiate

Great answer, thanks !

I understand the second Extender needs a different SSID but how do I do that ?

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 35
TheEther
Guru

The extender, by default, broadcasts a different SSID from the main router, so you should not have to do anything.  It's possible it will broadcast the same SSID as the other extender, but that's ok.

Message 4 of 35
BretD
Admin

No need to switch SSIDs (network name) as you roam around the house.No need to switch SSIDs (network name) as you roam around the house.

If you want to use 2 WiFi Extenders at the same time. you should definitely consider the Nighthawk X6S AC3000 WiFi Range Extender. Check it out. 

Message 5 of 35
Meoper
Aspirant

I have the ex 7000. Can I add the ex 8000 and use the same name on both?  Thanks. 

Message 6 of 35
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Yes the ex8000 will allow you to use the same SSID.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 35
modInquirer
Initiate

I also have 2 net gear extenders that worked fine for a couple days or so, then i got bumped off had to keep re entering the password until the router stoped popping up at all i got rid of the second one and the internet works at close range my extender is connecting but internet is blocked , can i solve this problem by wiring just one extender and connecting the second to the wireless router? At first it had the same wifi id but i changed it still no connection even after multiple resets .

Message 8 of 35
sxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

@TheEther wrote:

Therefore, each extender should connect to the main router.

I'm already using one EX7000 connected to a router thru RJ45 in a multiple floor building...

Is it possible to connect a second EX7000 to the first EX7000 thru RJ45 instead of a direct connection to the main router?

Message 9 of 35
TheEther
Guru

Yes, you can do that with no loss in speed.
Message 10 of 35
SonofBear
Aspirant

[Closed]Can you use 2 wifi extenders at the same time?

found that my house are not suitable to use wifi extender as there are too many inteference

i end up getting power line adapter and setup 2nd router as access point on 2nd floor
now i have excellent wifi signal cover whole house

Message 11 of 35
blnh
Initiate

I installed the AC1200 and it works great. I need to add another extender at the other end of the house and purchased the AC1900 arriving tomorrow.  The AC1200 automatically appended _2G, _5G, _2GEXT and _5GEXT to the primary network name. So, there are 5 networks to choose from. Will I have to configure anything special in order to use both extenders?  Will the network names be duplicated automatically or will I be able to distinguish between the AC1200 and AC1900 networks?

Message 12 of 35
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: [Closed]Can you use 2 wifi extenders at the same time?

Hello blnh

Yes you can and you will want each extender to connect directly to the routers wifi network also you may need to rename the SSID on the new extender in setup to cause less issues.

DarrenM

Message 13 of 35
Gregory1234
Initiate

Hey .. I has a simple qu on multiple (three units, on multi story villa) ACCESS POINTS (with these EX7000 Range Extenders with cables back to the master modem) .. when I set up each unit (EX7000) the Setup Wizard makes me enter a NEW ACCOUNT (email & pword).

Can I use the same one each time, or do I need to use 3 different emails??

Maybe I have to turn off the 1st Unit I setup & then setup & login to the next one separately (but with the same email ??)

Message 14 of 35
blnh
Initiate

Just confirming that I was able to successfully setup two wifi extenders using the same username and password. The modem is on the second floor. I configured the first unit while the other was unplugged. I added _AC1200 to the 2G and 5G networks. I then unplugged it. I configured the second one adding _AC1900 to the 2G and 5G networks. I plugged in both externders to their respective locations at opposite ends of the house on the first floor. I can easily distinguish all networks.

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender,EX6400|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 15 of 35
Dalton89
Aspirant

Ok so if I connect them both to the main router then how does that make the signal reach further? Wouldn't one have to be hooked up to the main one and extended to the proper length away and then the second one hooked to the first one that is hooked into the main one that is sending the signal out? I'm not sure I understand because the booster I have is and has to be completely wireless. So here is the situation.... My kid lives across the street and a house over and we're sharing wifi (and the bill of course lol) and I bought the first booster and set it up at the best length away from the main router and he gets wifi not but only in the bathroom and the closest room to the street and only at half signal. So if I buy another one can I wirelessly connect them in the order of the main one then the first booster into that and then the 2nd booster into the first booster to maximize the signals reach? And without slowing the speed?
Message 16 of 35
TheEther
Guru

@Dalton89 wrote:
Ok so if I connect them both to the main router then how does that make the signal reach further? 

You put the router in a central location and the extenders on opposite sides of the router.

Wouldn't one have to be hooked up to the main one and extended to the proper length away and then the second one hooked to the first one that is hooked into the main one that is sending the signal out? 

While this is technically feasible, each extender cuts Wi-Fi speeds in half.  Going through two extenders cuts speeds by a whopping 75%.  That's a pretty heavy penalty.

I'm not sure I understand because the booster I have is and has to be completely wireless. So here is the situation.... My kid lives across the street and a house over and we're sharing wifi (and the bill of course lol) and I bought the first booster and set it up at the best length away from the main router and he gets wifi not but only in the bathroom and the closest room to the street and only at half signal. So if I buy another one can I wirelessly connect them in the order of the main one then the first booster into that and then the 2nd booster into the first booster to maximize the signals reach? And without slowing the speed?

As mentioned above, this is possible but not without slowing the speed.  Using a consumer grade range extender, which broadcasts a signal omnidirectionally, is not the right tool for getting Wi-Fi to your kid's place.  A directional, point-to-point wireless bridge will be much faster and more reliable. 

Netgear doesn't sell that kind of equipment.  You'll need to look elsewhere.  A couple of Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco units is one option, one in your house and one across the street.  The one in your house would need to be wired to your router, which may not be a feasible solution for you.

Message 17 of 35
ihawk
Tutor

I’m confused about this sorry. So I have a ex7000 already and am so happy that I’ve just ordered 2 more. 1 of them will connect direct to the main home router like my original one, and I was going to connect the other one to my summer house for garden Internet. Is it only the summerhouse extender which is reduced by 75% i.e 300mbps to 75mbps?
Message 18 of 35
Johndoe3784
Aspirant

It kicks me off of both every single time i try to use 2
Message 19 of 35
ihawk
Tutor

Mine work absolutely fine
Message 20 of 35
Kennykcheng
Aspirant

I have ac1700 router upstairs and ex6200 downstairs. But on the other side of the house (downstairs) have a very weak signal. Can I add another ex6200 to my ac1700 router (2 ex6200) connect wirelessly to ac1700 upstairs?
Message 21 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Kennykcheng wrote:
I have ac1700 router upstairs and ex6200 downstairs. But on the other side of the house (downstairs) have a very weak signal. Can I add another ex6200 to my ac1700 router (2 ex6200) connect wirelessly to ac1700 upstairs?

Yes, you can connect another extender to the ac1700 router.  You do need to find a spot that is part way between the ac1700 and area with weak coverage.  Try moving the ex6200 to such spots, and see how well it works before you get a second extender.

Message 22 of 35
Enmassa
Aspirant

I have two EX7500

I need to connect them in the configuration Router--EX7500--EX7500 because my router is at  the very front of my house therefore i need to create a chain of two extenders to cover the entire home

Questions:

1) given the EX7500 support MESH connectivity, is it possible to connect two extenders without loosing too much speed?

2) can both extenders keep the SSID of the routers?

3) how to i actually connect the two extenders? do i press the WPS bottons on both at the same time?

thank you 

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band Wall Plug WiFi Range Extender
Message 23 of 35
StephenB
Guru

.@Enmassa wrote:

1) given the EX7500 support MESH connectivity, is it possible to connect two extenders without loosing too much speed?

You will lose some speed.  The signal needs to be relayed twice, and there is a cost to that.

@Enmassa wrote:

2) can both extenders keep the SSID of the routers?

You should be able to do that - the EX7500 does support the one WiFi name feature.  If it misbehaves, you can try different SSIDs and see if that helps.

@Enmassa wrote:

3) how to i actually connect the two extenders? do i press the WPS bottons on both at the same time?

No, pressing them at the same time won't work.  With one WiFi name, you can connect one extender to the router (placing it nearby the router).  Then connect the second.  Then move the extenders to their final locations.  The farthest extender should connect to the strongest signal (which will be the middle extender).

Without one WiFi name, you'd connect one extender to the router, and then connect the second extender to the first extender's client network.  

Personally I don't use WPS, I'd rather use the web interface to set it up.

Message 24 of 35
Enmassa
Aspirant

many thanks for your reply

To clarify: I connect both extenders to the router first and then move them as needed (R-E-E) and the furthest extender would connect to the closest extender despite it was originally connected to the router?

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7