× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot Use FTP Program After WNR2000v3 Install

Ellsinore
Aspirant

Cannot Use FTP Program After WNR2000v3 Install

After a week trying to figure this out, and multiple email exchanges with NETGEAR support, I'm still clueless and it's still not working. I have no idea what to do next, because I don't know what I'm doing in the first place. 🙂

I have Hughesnet. Everything worked fine, until I decided to add this wireless router (WNR2000v.3). Now, my FTP program, FileZilla, can't connect to the servers I'm trying to access.

Disabling the router firewall didn't work. I read that I need to set up the router as an access point. Support sent me instructions last night on how to do that, but it's still not working.

I'm *guessing* it's an issue with the IP address, which I did change, and was able to access the router configuration after I did that with the new IP address.

This is what the Hughesnet info is for the LAN:

LAN Port IPv4 Address 192.168.0.1
LAN Port IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Last Usable IPv4 Address 192.168.0.254

This is what the Hugesnet info is for the DHCP:

DHCP Configuration
Server 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 ; 0.0.0.0 - 0.0.0.0

The instructions from NETGEAR support say to assign the router an IP within the LAN range, so I gave it 192.168.0.11. But more digging around says that the router IP should *not* be within the DHCP range. But that's not possible because the LAN and the DHCP ranges are the same?

Router Status:

Internet Port
MAC Address E0:46:9A:3C:C9:45
IP Address 0.0.0.0
Connection DHCP
IP Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
Domain Name Server 0.0.0.0

LAN Port
MAC Address E0:46:9A:3C:C9:44
IP Address 192.168.0.11

Can someone please tell me what I'm supposed to do now? FileZilla guys won't help because it's a router problem. Hugesnet won't help, either, because the router isn't their equipment. NETGEAR has been trying, but it's still not working.
Message 1 of 8
fordem
Mentor

What are you trying to do with the WNR2000 - why did you add it to the network?
Message 2 of 8
Ellsinore
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
What are you trying to do with the WNR2000 - why did you add it to the network?

I wanted a wireless connection for my son's laptop. That part is working. 🙂
Message 3 of 8
Ellsinore
Aspirant

No one has any ideas?
Message 4 of 8
fordem
Mentor

OK - what you should have done was add a wireless access point, rather than a router - or - replace your existing router with a wireless router. Multiple routers in a single network are usually a source of grief.

It is possible to configure a wireless router to work as an access point (I'm running a WNR2000 like this right now - because my Linksys access point failed, and I haven't gotten around to buying a new one) - the basic steps are ...

1) Set the wireless router's LAN address to an appropriate one - in your case the correct thing to do is to reduce the DHCP range of the hughesnet router so that you can give the Netgear router an address outside of the DHCP range. The alternative if you can't or don't want to change the settings on the hughesnet router is to select an ip address toward the high end of the range - say 192.168.0.251 (I will explain why later).

2) Disable the DHCP server on the wireless router.

3) Connect the wireless router to the network using one of it's LAN ports - do NOT use the WAN port.

4) Configure the wireless security as desired.

Because this procedure makes no changes to the existing network, your ftp program should not be affected and should continue to work.

Now back to the ip addressing - as you probably know, each device on the network needs to have a unique ip address - if you give the wireless router an ip address within the DHCP server's lease range, it is possible that the DHCP server may give that same address to another device, so you are instructed to set the ip address outside of the server's lease range - this is the correct way to do it.

However - realistically speaking - what are the chances of your having 250 devices attached to your network? Slim to nil - which is why you can usually get away with setting the ip address at the end of the server's DHCP range - you will probably never have enough devices connected for the server to lease that address.

Let me know how things go - also - I am travelling and don't always have internet access so if there's no reply - just check back in a day or two...
Message 5 of 8
Ellsinore
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
1) Set the wireless router's LAN address to an appropriate one - in your case the correct thing to do is to reduce the DHCP range of the hughesnet router so that you can give the Netgear router an address outside of the DHCP range. The alternative if you can't or don't want to change the settings on the hughesnet router is to select an ip address toward the high end of the range - say 192.168.0.251 (I will explain why later).

Check.

2) Disable the DHCP server on the wireless router.

Check.

3) Connect the wireless router to the network using one of it's LAN ports - do NOT use the WAN port.

Check.

4) Configure the wireless security as desired.

Check.

Because this procedure makes no changes to the existing network, your ftp program should not be affected and should continue to work.

Nope.

With a few additional steps, this is pretty much what support told me, too. But the FTP program still won't connect. It can't be possible that I'm the only person in the whole world who can't get this to work. 🙂

Let me know how things go - also - I am travelling and don't always have internet access so if there's no reply - just check back in a day or two...

I really appreciate the help. Be safe. 🙂
Message 6 of 8
Ellsinore
Aspirant

Well, this is a whole new can of worms. After spending days on this, I decided to just remove the router from the equation so I could get some work done -- maybe just use it as a doorstop or something. And FTP *still* can't connect! It was working before I got the router, and now it's not. Good grief.
Message 7 of 8
fordem
Mentor

Where does the computer with the ftp program connect? Is it wired to the hughesnet router? If it is, disconnect the cable linking the WNR2000 to the hughesnet router.

Does the ftp program work now? My guess is no - see if filezilla support will help. After you get tthe ftp program running again, reconnect the WNR2000 and see what happens.

I'm not a filezilla user, but I may be able to help troubleshoot that if they won't assist.

Tomorrow is a travel day - fourteen or so hours from the time I hit the road - so I probably will not be online until Friday -
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7