× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect RAX40 with extender EAX20

jeffreyctf
Follower

Cannot connect RAX40 with extender EAX20

Hi all,

i just purchased the wifi extender EAX20, aim to improve the coverage of my router RAX40

I cannot setup the connection between them by mobile app, as it keep saying that my wifi password is not correct.

I quite sure the password entered is the same, and it's a WPA2 AES type password.

Then i plug the ethernet with the extender and login by ip address

still the incorrect password error appear again.

I even try the WPS method, but fail to connect them.

Anyone know the cause and solution of my situation?

looking for your help, thanks a lot

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
MarichalEric
Initiate

Re: Cannot connect RAX40 with extender EAX20

Spoke with a rep a few days ago and their only temporary solution would be to downgrade to the previous version of your RAX 40 firmware. The update has a flaw
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 11
silveronetrx
Aspirant

I also have this same problem. Has anyone tried to downgrade the firmware and confirmed that it solves the problem?

Message 3 of 11
JCdeB
Aspirant

Sorry to spam this thread; I was researching to buy the exact same set of equipment - RAX40 with extender EAX20.

Apologies for some basic questions: are these compatible and is my (poor) understanding correct that the range extender can be set up to boost the signal of the modem wireless/ you don’t have to feed the range extender with a wired network feed?
Message 4 of 11
purpleza
Aspirant

Experiencing the same problem here.

Message 5 of 11
MarichalEric
Initiate

Yes. Once you downgrade your RAX40 router to firmware 1.0.3.64, the extender will be begin to function if you had already set it up. If you haven’t set up your extender yet it will function and not give you the “wrong password” error. It works!
Message 6 of 11
silveronetrx
Aspirant

Hi,

Yes you are correct. This extends your wireless without the need for a cable. As for the comparability, yes they are comparable as long as the RAX40 router is not on the latest firmware. This seems to be due to a bug in the latest firmware.

The EAX20 can be on the latest firmware however. Hopefully the RAX40 firmware is fixed in the next release
Message 7 of 11
hugodelp
Tutor

Perfect solution
Message 8 of 11
hugodelp
Tutor

Yes it work
Message 9 of 11
hugodelp
Tutor

Solved now thanks to eax20 update firmware
Message 10 of 11
silveronetrx
Aspirant

It only took Netgear 6 months to release a fixed firmware! I sold this router and extender to some poor soul, but I did warn them of the problems I had before the sale, and I sold it to them for cheap.

I ended up buying 2 Asus wifi 6 routers and used the second one as an Asus AI mesh wifi node. Best decision ever in my opinion. No more broken firmware or daily rebooting of the equipment because it just decided to stop working for no reason. Will never buy NetGear again.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7