× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect to extender

uccm
Aspirant

Cannot connect to extender

I have a new WN2000RPT range extender.  I can see it using the laptop.  I attempt to connect to it, and it says a limited connection using wifi.  mywifiext.net and 192.168.1.250 are both unsuccessful to connect to the extender.  I get blank pages.....no internet connection.

I close that limited connection.  I plug in ethernet cable.  Same thing.  Cannot connect.

I both cases, the Extender to PC green light is on.

What is wrong?

Message 1 of 6
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cannot connect to extender

Hi uccm,

Please reset the WN2000RPT back to factory defaults (page 28 of 33):

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/WN2000RPT_UM_05MAR2012.pdf

You can press and hold the Restore Factory Settings button on the rear panel for 7 seconds.

The extender resets, and returns to its factory settings.

Then place your WN2000RPT in the same room as your extender for setup. (After setup, you can place it halfway between the router and the computer you need)

*Do not use Ethernet cable to connect the extender to a router. If you do so,the extender does not work because it is designed to use only a wireless connection to the router.

Follow the setup process described on page 9 of 33.

Connect to the _EXT network via Wireless.

Or you can connect an ethernet cable from the extender to your computer (make sure your computer is not connected to any other internet network).

then proceed to mywifiext.net or 192.168.1.250 in your browser

Message 2 of 6
uccm
Aspirant

Still doesn't work.  Did the reset.  My laptop can see the NEXTGEAR_EXT, but it shows a small shield with an exclamation point in it.  When I try to connect to it, it says is it a "limited connection."  Cannot login to the extender.

I tried using a smart phone and also a tablet to try and log into the extender, still of no use.

HELP!

Message 3 of 6
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi uccm,

Can you please confirm this was tested by having the WN2000RPT in the same room as the router?

If you're still experiencing issues, please contact support to determine if it is faulty:

http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx

Message 4 of 6
uccm
Aspirant

Yes in the same room, two feet apart.

Message 5 of 6
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi uccm,

Please open a case with support 🙂