× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot connect to internet with AC1200 Wifi extender

ToddB3
Aspirant

Cannot connect to internet with AC1200 Wifi extender

Why does the Netgear support have to be such a nightmare.  It says there is 24/7 support, but when you go to the support section in Netgear (after already being registered with Netgear, it sends you to an ARLO support site which then asks you to create a login.  When you try to do that, it says you are already registered with Netgear and redirects you back there.  UGH!

I just bought the AC1200 WiFi range extender and followed the set-up instructions (connected to computer via ethernet cable and set it up.  All lights are green and it shows connected to the router, but my devices show no internet connection.  I've rebooted the router and the devices, but there is still no internet connection.  Not sure what to do.

Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

so just to clarify. There's 4 led's on the front. They are all green?

On the side there's an access point, extender mode switch. Which mode are you setup in?

If you do a wireless scan you can see your extenders wireless?

What firmware is the extender on?

What router is it connected back to ? Firmware on the router?

Message 2 of 11
ToddB3
Aspirant

Left left led is not lighted. On the setup screen, it said everything is connected. I don’t know what firmware I have (just what it came with). I’m not sure how to check that. I’m on a Spectrum network and router but I don’t know what firmware it has either
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

so you're router link led isn't linked. This led tells us you're not connected back to the router/getting an ip address for the extender.. 

Again what is the switch on the side set to? If you have it set to access point and a computer hooked to the extender, its trying to get an IP address from the computer and not provide one to the computer. Check this.

If it is set on extender mode, then you need to redo the  setup process as its not connected back to the router. I'll link to your support site. There's 2 versions of this device. if you look at the back at the model number and it ends with v2, thats your version. If its just ex6150 then its model 1. Look through the manual a bit. It already has FAQ in the back with troubleshooting. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6150.aspx

Message 4 of 11
ToddB3
Aspirant

It is version 2. I’m not sure how to select a specific IP address for the extended. I did the setup again and it finds the router and shows the router connection on the setup screen. I’m not sure why it is not connected on the extender
Message 5 of 11
ToddB3
Aspirant

Also, it is set to extender
Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

have you tried setting up the extender in the same room as the router? Not sure how far from the router you currently are but its always good to setup in the same room for the initial setup. When you log into the extender, did you check the firmware on it? Again I'll refer you to look at the manual a bit. There's a bunch of troubleshooting in the back that walks you through some of these scenarios. have you looked through it? 

Message 7 of 11
ToddB3
Aspirant

I have, but I can’f figure out where any of that is. I’ll have to wait for my son to come home and help me. IT is not my strong point.
Message 8 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ToddB3 - Curious to know if you were able to get the extender sorted out.

~Christian 

Message 9 of 11
ToddB3
Aspirant

Unfortunately I was not. I still cannot connect to the internet
Message 10 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ToddB3 - Thanks for the update. Were you able to perform the recommendation @plemans provided. 

~Christian 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series