× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect to network wn3000rp

DrunkenSoldier
Follower

Cannot connect to network wn3000rp

So i have windows 10 and have no idea if that does something to the wifi extender. I go to wifi manager and try to connect to (name)_EXT. I stare at the wifi extender and the LED for connecting from wifi repeater to device turns on and turns off. And it shows that it say "Cannot connect to network" I tried this muiltiple times and still no luck.

Message 1 of 9
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cannot connect to network wn3000rp

Hi DrunkenSoldier,

Is this your first time setting up the WN3000rp? The extender does not depend on which operating system your computer is running.

You can also test the Extender internet connection by wiring an ethernet cord from the extender to your computer.

Please press and hold the Factory Settings button on the side panel for 7 seconds.

The Extender resets, and returns to its factory settings.
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN3000RP/WN3000RP_UM_1Feb13.pdf

Message 2 of 9
hopplaschorsch
Aspirant

Re: Cannot connect to network wn3000rp

Hi

I have the same problem. Why should the operating system have to do anything at all with the wifi extender?

Netgear gives a list of Windows 10 supported products:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29490/~/netgear-product-support-for-microsoft-windows-...

Unfortunately, the WN3000RP is not on it.

Message 3 of 9
hopplaschorsch
Aspirant

Betreff: Cannot connect to network wn3000rp

Hi

So i have the same problem and the same question: Why should the operating system have anything to do with the wifi extender's function? I thing it's even interfering with the connection to the main wifi access point.

Netgear publishes a list of devices with Windows 10 support:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29490/~/netgear-product-support-for-microsoft-windows-...

Unfortunately, the wn3000rp is not on it. Hhhmm......

Deconnection and reconnecting, power off and on, new firmware...... nothing does help at this point except - switch off the extender.

Message 4 of 9
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The router and extender functionality are not dependent on what operating system you have.

Which router is connected to your router?

Is the router updated to latest firmware?

Please try resetting the WN3000rp to factory default.

Press and hold the Factory Settings button on the side panel for 7 seconds.

The Extender resets, and returns to its factory settings.
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN3000RP/WN3000RP_UM_1Feb13.pdf

Also place the WN3000rp in the same room as your router and test the connection.

Another option is to change the WiFi channel on your router, see

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23783/~/improving-2.4ghz-wireless-performance-by-chang...

Message 5 of 9
hopplaschorsch
Aspirant

Dear nhann

Thank you very much for your reply and suggestions. These are the data ;

Extender: wn3000rp

Firmware: V1.0.2.64_1.1.86

Router/Access Point: Swisscom “Centro Grand”, obviously an OEM version of some Pirelli BBS router.

It seems your suggestions did help a little, at least for this day. My computer was able to connect to the extender’s network after its factory reset. However, the connection speed is not as good as it should be and it’s not stable at all. Connection speed varies from 10 Mbit/sec (my nominal speed provided) to app. 2 Mbit/sec.

I also did set the channel manually to 11 which was least occupied (out from 1, 6, 11). I think this did not help any further.

Let’s see what the next days might bring in terms of extended connection.

By the way: Why is there a list of Win10 supported devices, if the operating system do not depend on the operating system? Just curious.....

Message 6 of 9
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes you're right. It could be that whoever was responsible for the page may be concerned with customers asking why routers/extenders aren't included (if they weren't listed at all).
I don't know the reasoning, but they do not depend on OS.

Thank your for your clarification.

How is the extender connection, if the extender and computer are placed in the same room as the router?

Message 7 of 9
hopplaschorsch
Aspirant

Dear nhann

Thanks for answering. Connection speed is about the same regardless of the extender’s position (in the same room as the router and the computer or in an other). At least, the connection can be built up at all, that’s much more than no connection.

Interestingly, the connection speed sometimes is bad regardless of the device my computer is connected to (extender or main router). However, other wireless devices such as a smartphone do not experience any problems at all. Because the extender’s function is, as you say, independent from the computer’s OS, the computer’s wireless network adapter might either by “crappy” or not well compatible with Win10. At this point I think, the extender issue is resolved by with the factory reset. Thank again for your support.

Message 8 of 9
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome!
Let us know if you need any other help.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation