× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot sign into app for EX6250

EL1957
Tutor

Cannot sign into app for EX6250

I can sign into Nighthawk online but not into the app using the same email address and password...so I cannot re-setup my wifi extender. Help please!
Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER
Message 1 of 7

@EL1957 wrote:
I can sign into Nighthawk online

What does that mean? How are you going about it? An app of some sort?

You shouldn't need to do that to set the thing up.

@EL1957 wrote:
so I cannot re-setup my wifi extender.

Again, it isn't obvious to me what that means. If you want to set the thing up from scratch, try a "factory reset".

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

See the section Return the extender to its factory default settings.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

Finally, you have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

Message 2 of 7
EL1957
Tutor

Hello Michael,

Thank you for responding.  And for some reason, I could not choose Extenders when I posted my comment; I could not get out of the Routers heading.  Also, my complete comments were not posted - no wonder you could not understand what I was talking about. 

I am using the Nighthawk app that came with my extender to try to (re) set it up.  It wants me to sign in.  But it will NOT take the user name and password that works for the Netgear website.  I tried to go to a site suggested by the internet (the post won't let me paste it into my post) to fix the problem, using my iphone connected to my home wifi network, but the site insisted I was not on wifi, when I obviously was.  My PC is hard-lined into the wall outlet, not connected to wifi, so I could not use it to go to the website.  Anyway, apparently my extender disconnected a week or so ago when I unplugged it to do some cleaning and needed the outlet; I thought it would go back to normal when I plugged it back in, but no such luck.  I might add that my iphone does not 'see' the Nighthawk network at all, but to be honest I can't remember if it ever showed up as a separate network from my home wifi network, but it was definitely working.  I will try your 'remedy' and hope that it works.

Message 3 of 7
EL1957
Tutor

P.S.  I went to the support site for Netgear, but could not find anything about resetting it to factory settings.  So I stuck a paper clip into the hole on the side of the Extender that says 'Factory Reset' and pushed down for a few seconds.  The extender is now all lit up, but the Netgear network does not show up on my iphone (not sure it ever has, even when it was working).  I've been waiting for 10 minutes.  So I'm kind of at a standstill here, with a $99 plus tax brick plugged into the wall.  Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I obviously am not a techie.  Thank you.

Message 4 of 7

@EL1957 wrote:

But it will NOT take the user name and password that works for the Netgear website. 

Which "Netgear website"? This one where we are now?

That has nothing to do with logging into the Nighthawk app. That is just one of the many logins that Netgear has.

The login you may need is the account is for Anywhere Access. (Probably called Remote Access in your manual.) If you haven't set up Anywhere Access, it won't work.

The login details for registering your device is yet another set of passwords and usernames.

In any case, you should not need to use any account to set u your device. Just the wifi SSID and default password.

@EL1957 wrote:

I tried to go to a site suggested by the internet (the post won't let me paste it into my post) to fix the problem, using my iphone connected to my home wifi network, but the site insisted I was not on wifi, when I obviously was. 

Sorry. I have no idea what you are doing there. What is this "site suggested by the internet"? I wouldn't trust anything like that.

@EL1957 wrote:

Anyway, apparently my extender disconnected a week or so ago when I unplugged it to do some cleaning and needed the outlet; I thought it would go back to normal when I plugged it back in, but no such luck. 

It is probably too late now, you have been trying to fix things which may have changed important settings, but when this happens it helps to look at the whole network, not just the extender. That means restarting things in the right order.

As this is a router, there is probably a modem sitting in front of it. You need to get the modem to forget its misspent past with the old router. Among other things, that means rebooting the network.

Power cuts usually take out both the modem and the router on a network. When the power comes back on, they may start up in the wrong order, with the router starting before the modem is ready. That means that they get confused about which is in charge.

It may help to reboot the whole network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network, including he extender.

Message 5 of 7

@EL1957 wrote:

P.S.  I went to the support site for Netgear, but could not find anything about resetting it to factory settings.

I was trying to tell you where to find the manual and which bit of the manual to read. Clearly I failed.

@EL1957 wrote:

So I stuck a paper clip into the hole on the side of the Extender that says 'Factory Reset' and pushed down for a few seconds.  The extender is now all lit up, but the Netgear network does not show up on my iphone (not sure it ever has, even when it was working). 

Great. You are now back at square one, which is a good place to start.

Go to the site link I posted early for the manual. Read the Getting started guide and take it from there.

The manual has even more details but maybe too complicated.

Message 6 of 7
EL1957
Tutor

Thank you, Michael.  I did respond to you yesterday, wrote a detailed reply, but for some reason this site erased it and I did not have the heart to type it over again.  I did everything you suggested, in the order you suggested, to no avail.  I very much appreciate the link to the extender community page, because I would never have located it myself - it is well hidden!  I sent a message to the extender area and am about to read their reply next, after I send this.  I do thank you for your efforts.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7