× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cant set up wifi extender Ex2700

mhenry9632
Aspirant

Cant set up wifi extender Ex2700

Hi all. This may be a daft question but I am trying to set up my extender using the installation assistant on my mobile phone as there is no wps option on my router. To do so I need to connect to the netgear extender by wifi for it to link and then recognise to start the set up. However in doing so I then have no internet connection so I cant go through the steps. How do I set this up linked to a netgear device that itself has no wifi until I can connect it to my router. Seems odd. May be so.ethong simple but any help appreciated. Thanks
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Cant set up wifi extender Ex2700

There's a video on the support page for the ex2700 that walks you through using the assistant and not wps. I think its the 2nd video in the series on the support site. Its does a great job of walking you through this. Have you viewed this?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX2700.aspx

Message 2 of 6
mhenry9632
Aspirant

Thanks as not seen the video but it doesnt solve the problem When I connect to the booster I have no internet so I cant complete the steps to set it up. I assume the point of going through the steps is so the booster can pick up the router wifi signal and therefore doesnt have one itself. By connecting to the booster before connection it has no wifi which seems to defeat the object. No idea what to try other than return it.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

I guess I'm a bit confused. 

Not a single extender has internet until you connect to it and go through the full setup process.  it doesn't matter which extender or manufacturer you go with. 

Why do you think it should have internet if it isn't setup yet?

Where in the process is is failing? maybe a better description of whats going on exactly will help. either describe where its failing or even better take a video of the process. 

What router are you connecting to? 

Are you trying to setup in the same room? After you get it setup, you can move the extender. 

Message 4 of 6
mhenry9632
Aspirant

I'm setting up in same room as router. When I connect to the extender wifi network which is step one I then have no network to connect to the internet and therefore nothing loads when I go to the mywifiext address. And that's it. I get no further. I realise the purpose of the set up is to connect it to wifi which is why its doubly frustrating that the first step effectively tells me to disconnect and then to search for a web address. Apologies if this comes across as ungrateful but it simply doesnt work and it's frustrating.
Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Still needing clarification.

1. When you power up the extender, does the default netgear SSID show? 

2. Are you able to connect to this? 

If you are, you WILL NOT have internet until you go through the setup process on the extender. 

You stated at one point that you hardwired your computer into the extender. This is the best option for setup as it tends to go the fastest.  Make sure you don't have the extender hardwired into the router as this extender doesn't support access point mode.  

If you're able to connect but can't access the extender, a couple questions.

1. What address exactly are you connecting to? it should be www.mywifiext.net   

If it doesn't work, try a different computer browser or different computer. Many times a browser issue or computer issue can cause issues. 

You can also try clearing the browser cache. 

If you connect and it brings you to a login page, its probably been setup before. In this case, factory reset the extender. Push and hold reset for 7-10 seconds while powered up. The lights should flash. 

If you try these and it doesn't work, take a video of the process so we can see where its failing. Most times its something simple that we are just missing in the process. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7