× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing WiFi 2.4g channel number WiFi Extender

bndsley
Aspirant

Changing WiFi 2.4g channel number WiFi Extender

I am wanting to change the channel number on my AC2200 extender but when I login the fields for the channel number and the speed are grayed out. I am logging on via my existing WiFi. Hardware is EX7300 and Firmware is V1.0.2.152.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

bndsley

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Changing WiFi 2.4g channel number WiFi Extender

If you change your primary routers 2.4ghz channel, the extender will switch to match. 

When running in extender mode, the router and extender have to be on the same wireless channel. 

As @schumaku said, only in AP (access point) mode can you individually select channels for the extender. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

As there is only one 2.4 GHz radio on most extenders, the extender connecting to the primary router on the 2.4 GHz band channels and exending (repeating) in a different time slot can just follow the 2.4 GHz channel in use on the primary router.

The same applies to the 5 GHz band if the extender has only one 5 GHz radio, too.

That's why there can't be any channel controls made available.

The Controls are in place if the extender is operating in AP (access point) mode.

Message 2 of 4
bndsley
Aspirant

The primary router that the extender connects to is in auto mode. If I change it to a fixed channel will I then be able to change the channel on my extender or will my extender change automatically to match that channel?

Thanks,

bndsley

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

If you change your primary routers 2.4ghz channel, the extender will switch to match. 

When running in extender mode, the router and extender have to be on the same wireless channel. 

As @schumaku said, only in AP (access point) mode can you individually select channels for the extender. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7