× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Channel Selection on 5GHz Wireless Access Point

julesandsand
Aspirant

Channel Selection on 5GHz Wireless Access Point

I have a EX6200 configured as a wireless access point. The problem I have is that in this mode it will only work on channels 36-48 which is where my Sky Q mesh lives. The question I have is, do any of the later WAP models allow selection of a channel above 48?

All my hardware can access higher channels - my router transmits on channel 108 and all my devices can connect to it.

Model: EX6200|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

What region is the EX6200 set to? certain regions restrict what you can broadcast on. 

Message 2 of 5
julesandsand
Aspirant

It's set to Europe. When in AP mode it is restricted to 4 channels (from 36-48). When set in extender mode it isn't restricted but you can't manually select a channel. Sometimes it sits perfectly on channel 108 (channel the router broadcasts on) but then will randomly hop onto the Sky mesh channel which obviously causes problems.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

In AP mode, it controls which channels it broadcasts on. In extender mode, the primary router sets the channels and the extender uses the same channels. And the reason it switches is because channels 50-144 are dfs/tpc/indoor channels per european regulations. Not something netgear controls. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Message 4 of 5
julesandsand
Aspirant

In actual fact thw primary router SOMETIMES sets the channel - hence the problem, sometimes it doesn't.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7